Clear all

am i to old?

47 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
11.2 K Views
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I am another 'oldie newbie' - 55 with just two weeks learning so far.

It's frustrating alright and sometimes the tips of my fingers feel like their about to bleed (plenty of advice on this can be found on theses forums) but I am determined to stick with it and learn to play.

In Australia, and I am sure the same thing applies in other countries, mature-age university students achieve better results than those recently out of high school. Hopefully the same thing can be applied to guitar students. :D

All the best.

My hope as well!
Welcome to the asylum for the musically insane!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@tahitiijack)
Eminent Member

I started at 52.........six years at it and still learning and enjoying. I'm not the best but no one loves it more than me. Oh yes, I wish I had started sooner, but I'm giving it my best everyday to make up for lost time. I am lucky to have the love and support of my wife. Its never too late.....Happy Sunsets.

Happy Sunsets!

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

I'm 31, just seriously picked up guitar around March or so, and I also have ADHD. It can be a bit frustrating at times for sure, but once you get started, I think you'll find that having something fun and interesting to focus on will really help you along.

Go for it, says me! You already know you have some support on the best darn guitar forum in the world, so what's stopping you now? :D

ReplyQuote
(@boomshanka)
Eminent Member

Age is a subjective concept - the older you get, the more subjective you get. :)

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I just turned 47. been playing for about 3-1/2 months. Getting a new hobby at this point in life is quite refreshing. So you are definitely not too old.

As far as the ADD goes- my son has ADD so I know a little about it. The big issue there it would seem is being able to stay focused, to put in the time, and to have patience because it doesn't happen overnight. I think what an earlier poser sugested- keep it interesting- is a key here. learn a few simple songs that you like with maybe 2-3 chords and that would give you some satisfaction- whatever you need to do to stay with it- and you should be fine.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

In Australia, and I am sure the same thing applies in other countries, mature-age university students achieve better results than those recently out of high school. Hopefully the same thing can be applied to guitar students. :D

All the best.

I've heard that too! Older, more mature students come to school and know what they want and already know how much work it'll take. Young people sometimes think of college as 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th grade and...may not get as much as they might've.

I agree, just go for it man!

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

I'm 31, just seriously picked up guitar around March or so, ...

... Just seriously picked up four guitars since March.

I don't know anything about ADD, or ADHD, or ABBA, (wait... I do know a little about ABBA) But I know Pilot, and he's doin' pretty good with it. I started at 42. You're starting way too late to ever hope to be in a boy band. But... who cares?

Have fun with it.

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

I'm 31, just seriously picked up guitar around March or so, ...

... Just seriously picked up four guitars since March.

-- Scratch 8)

Well, there is that. :P

I suppose that adds one more caveat...if you have the impulsiveness that can come with ADD and some disposable income - or worse, NO disposable income - then be careful. This hobby can get reeeeeally expensive reeeeeeally fast.

For instance, my last (which was already my second) electric guitar started acting all wonky and the volume wasn't working right on it...in the few days it took me to fix it, I just went out and bought another brand new guitar. Now, granted, I really truly love my new one and I'm glad things worked out the way they did...but it was basically an impulse purchase that I didn't need to make.

On a positive note, I did NOT buy the $2700 Taylor acoustic I had my hands on today at Guitar Center. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

huh? This is a problem?

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

huh? This is a problem?

Touché! :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

The only problem I see is a lack of Fender product, Otherwise NICE collection Nick

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member

huh? This is a problem?

It makes me jealous, that's the problem.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

huh? This is a problem?

Nick, I think you do have a problem, a serious one...You appear to be out of stands :lol:.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@plutarch)
Eminent Member

Bought an accoustic just after my 40th birthday. Never touched a guitar before. Found a good teacher and been at it for about six months.

Certainly considered the "Am I too old" question too. Finally decided I don't give a...

Settled on these two principles instead:

1. Take care of the quantity and let the Grand Wazoo take care of the quality.
2. Don't quit.

Figure at some point I'll either lean to play the quitar or die trying. Either of which is better than not doing it at all.

Besides, if we don't do it, who will? Brittany? Justin? The Darkness?

..."then you'll never hear certain music again."

Disclaimer: The preceeding was typed by a neurotic middle-aged man that has a wife, three children, a beer belly, and greying hair. He is undoubtedly in the midst of a mid-life crisis and his views should not be confused with those of any sane person (or any other person who does not live with teenagers).

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

Well this answers some of my questions. I'm in my mid-fourtys and have been thinking about picking up a guitar again for the first time in about thirty years.

I tried to learn to play when I was a kid and didn't have a lot of suggess. I had a realy BAD acoustic from Sears ( the action was impossibly high) and some very indifferent teachers. As I got older I migrated into vocal and drama and drifted away from instrimental music.

Recently some friends have been playing some blues and "clasic" rock at different events and campouts. I have returned to playing harp and have been intrested in returning to the guitar. One of the local shops has an Epiphone Riviera that has a nice ez action (I do rembember a few cords) and I was thinking about picking it up.

I've been able to pick up more theroy from the lessons on this site than I ever did taking guitar lessons. Is there hope for me?

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4