Clear all

Am to Dm change

31 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

In the version of Imagine that I am working on (ostensibly the original version as John wrote it, and as published), there is a chord change from Am to Dm:
F Am Dm C2
Imagine all the people
G/B G
Living for today

I can make all the changes fairly smoothly, including the Dm to C2 (I leave my ring finger on the 3rd string, 3rd fret as a pivot and move middle finger to 3rd fret 5th string). But I can't get a smooth move from Am to Dm, even anticipating and visualizing it. Is there a trick, or is this another matter of practice, practice, practice?

On a side note, I found it's not a good idea to hesitate when changing chords. Later on, there is
F G C Cmaj7 E E7
You may say I'm a dreamer
F G C Cmaj7 E E7
But I'm not the only one
F G C Cmaj7 E E7
I hope someday you'll join us
F G C (single notes: G C A C B C)
And the world will be one

If I hesitate for even a fraction of a second at the E7 to F change, it takes forever for me to regroup. It's a matter of "D*mn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" Even if I don't form the F properly, I have to keep the rhythm going.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I had a lot of troubles with the Dm chord and one was from the Am chord. It is a very usual change, for example, it is also part of the basic progression C-Am-Dm-G7.

I (partially) solved it by practicing. I think there is not shortcuts here :?

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I had a lot of troubles with the Dm chord and one was from the Am chord. It is a very usual change, for example, it is also part of the basic progression C-Am-Dm-G7.

OK, I'm glad to know I'm not alone.
I (partially) solved it by practicing. I think there is not shortcuts here :?

I was afraid someone would say that. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

Yes I struggled on this one as well. What is strange is that it is a vey small movement required, you can almost hold your a minor shape and move the shape down a fret and slightly to left and your there. I think for me because I originally learnt G using my index finger it meant a G7 change was difficult and I probally gave a wide birth to those sort of progressions.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

ReplyQuote
(@mrwisker)

There was a time when I felt I would never be able to make any change to Dm quickly without any mistakes. Well I have to say that persistence pays off and today I barely think about. Just keep at it and before you know it you will have it.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

...you can almost hold your a minor shape and move the shape down a fret and slightly to left and your there.

Yes, that's what I thought and tried to anticipate doing. Maybe, just maybe I am also trying to do it too fast.
There was a time when I felt I would never be able to make any change to Dm quickly without any mistakes. Well I have to say that persistence pays off and today I barely think about. Just keep at it and before you know it you will have it.

Thanks a lot guys. The encouragement is appreciated. :)

ReplyQuote
(@frankyl)
Eminent Member

All right, I'm actually going to have this same change for a song I'm playing in church in a couple of weeks, and I've been puzzling it out. It just came to me when I read the above - can't you move the whole Am shape down one string, then throw the pinkie on the third fret of the second string, rather than trying to move anything over? Voila, you're there. I'll be trying this out when I get home to a guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Simplify with slightly different voicings, and very limited finger movement:

F: xx3211
Am: xx2211
Dm: xx0211
C2: x30211

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys... will try them all, as well as continuing to practice the "regular" way. :)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Slejhammer, isn't that an Fmaj7/A, not an Am?

Why not play the Am and Dm at the fifth fret:

5 7 7 5 5 5 or x x 7 5 5 5 for the Am

and
x 5 7 7 6 5 or x x x 7 6 5 for the Dm?

Use the second options if you're not comfortable with barre chords.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

But I can't get a smooth move from Am to Dm, even anticipating and visualizing it. Is there a trick, or is this another matter of practice, practice, practice?

I was gonna post the same questions the other day - and in the end and after a few days slow and repetitive practice, I can now change from Am (and C) to Dm fairly well - it's still not 100% ok, although much much better.

Slow practice helped me, without music, just moving the fingers, index and middle finger first, then stretch the ring finger. I generally spend a few minutes during each pratice just stretching my left ring and little fingers, and day by day the flexibility increases.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Slow practice helped me, without music, just moving the fingers, index and middle finger first, then stretch the ring finger. I generally spend a few minutes during each pratice just stretching my left ring and little fingers, and day by day the flexibility increases.

I definitely need to work on finger flexibility and dexterity. That's probably a big part of it. I kept doing the change over and over. And will keep doing it over... and over... and over... :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Wouldn't Fmaj7/A be x03210?

My Dm is Dm7, by the way. :wink:

In any case, I'm more interested in the voicing than the name. And it's not like the published, overpriced sheet music is entirely accurate with chord names either. 8) Besides, this is an arrangement of a piano song. Whatever works.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

to have the chord sound right you have to form the chord the way it is written.
and it is true the change from Am to Dm is not easy. it takes practice and timing is all.
when I just played that example , F Am Dm,,, I actually lifted my fingers from the strings and formed the next chord each time.
the fingers were barely off the strings. sometimes a string will continue to ring ; it fills the gap.
just practice. and count the beat out loud. better tap your foot.
when the Am chord comes you should be able to lift off the F and form the Am in the time it takes your foot to go up and then down; counting the beat. start slow and work up to tempo. you will eventually have no problems and will find a lot of time between those three chord changes. its true.

ps: one is allowed to omit some chords. the passing chord is one example.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Wouldn't Fmaj7/A be x03210?
That's a more common voicing, but the other has the maj 7 as the E on the D string.

The chord you listed in your first post is a possible inversion, putting the F on the first string.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3