Clear all

Amp Opinions

21 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dcmarshall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm getting a Fender Telecaster as a first electric (been playing an Epiphone acoustic for about a year now). Love the versatility of the Telecaster, but now would like some amp opinions. I've been looking at the Line 6 Spider II, which has a series of features and different tones. Any opinions on this amp, or perhaps others. Thanks much.

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Well first of all, how much are you willing to spend? The Line 6 spider is about 160 bucks I think. An exellent choice for that price range is the Vox Valvetronix AD15VT model. It's 15 watts, it has a tube(thats good), and gets very good reviews. However, the Vox isn't an extreme metal guitar amp, the Line 6 is better at that.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Oh, BTW welcome to guitarnoise, DCMarshall! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

...but in the defense of the Vox, it DOES do Metal pretty well. :D

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member

you might want to check out the "Roland Cube" there are 2 diff version, diff wattage, but has EXCELLENT on board effects, amp modeling, andi must say, get really close to the real sound. aND i dont think they are too expensive.

RIP Dimebag

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

It does? I've heard that it doesn't have the balls of the line 6, although that doesn't matter to me, because I usually dont do that anyway. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

DC, what kind of music do you like?

Welcome to guitarnoise :)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dcmarshall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the welcome. From a musical interest perspective, I suppose I'm a little all over the board: from Zeppelin to the Stones to the blues to some country/rockabilly. Don't want to be pigeonholed into one style. I would say that I'm not particularly into heavy/death metal. I guess that variety is one of the reasons for choosing the Tele.

I was wondering about the Line 6 because it seems to allow you to choose from a variety of tones that seem to match the above - i.e. there's a blues, twang, "classic rock" and other settings. From a cost perspective, I'd be willing to go upwards of $300 American. Is the Vox a better alternative.

Thanks again for the advice & opinions.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Absolutly, the Vox IMHO(and many others on this board too) is much better than the Line6. However, if you're willing to spend around $300, I would recomend a tube amplifier. Tube amps have much better sound than solidstate(although solidstate might beat em on deathmetal :wink: ) and are much more powerful. A Fender Pro Junior would be exellent, but its not very versitle, it has two knobs: Tone and Volume. Crank the Volume and you get exellent overdrive. Also, Fender makes some of the best clean tube amps. This is just my opinion and others might reccomend differently, but the Vox still is great. BTW the 15 watt Vox is 180 and the 30 watter is 240. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Oh Yeah... forgot to tell you... the Line6 is called a "modeling amp". It models the sound of other amps(though some say not very good). THe Vox is that too, but it has a tube, which gives it a more realistic sound. Still not the best, but better than the Line6. You can "audition" the Vox here: http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/vt_audition.htm
And here's the amp: http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/ad15vtad30vt.htm

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Nobody else has opinions?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Nobody else has opinions?
I do but you will hear some boos from the crowd.
I have a Crate GTX212 that is absolutely fabulous.
Has DSP (digital signal proccesing) 3 channels that are foot switchable.
The range of sounds that can be had will allow for any style playing.
It is ear bleed loud if you want it to be.
One facter in my purchase was the great reviews it recieved on Harmony Central.
Ok you can throw vegetables at me now.

ReplyQuote
(@dcmarshall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yoyo - thanks for the tip on the Vox. In reading the materials, I noted that some customer reviews noted that the tube blew out after a while. While this didn't appear to be common, I wondered if you (or anyone else) had such an experience. From what I've heard, the tube amp should sound better than the digital Line 6. Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Yes, the tube in it will make it sound better, but I've never heard of it blowing out. If it still has a warraty, you can send it back to Vox, but if it doesn't you might be able to hire a luthier to replace the tube. Don't worry: the 12ax7 (or whatever tube is in there) only costs like 12 or so bucks.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2