Amp or Pickup related question

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@wrkngclsshero)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Good evening all,

If you stumbled across my posting in the Guitar Disc forum you may recall I just bought an Epi Valve Junior Combo. Now here is my quandry. It seems that in both my old junker amp and my new nice amp my guitar sounds almost, but not quite muffled. I think this is what you all mean when you say "muddy" but I can't be sure.

I suspect it's my Epi LP Special II (or more like the cheap pick-ups on the guitar) is the culprit. Can anybody confirm my theory? If so would something like an EQ pedal assist this and give better tone or will a pick-up replacement be the only solution I have.

Thank again for all your help. Time to go watch wrestling!!!!!

"A working class hero is something to be..." -J. Lennon

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Does the sound improve (or at least get less bad) when you adjust the tone knobs on the guitar?
If so, an EQ pedal might help some.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

An EQ pedal can make a tremendous difference in your tone. With an EQ pedal you can dial in almost any tone you want.
I highly recommend the Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ, works as good as the more expensive models for 1/3 the price.

An EQ pedal will have 7 sliders that cover a range of frequecies. Each slider is just a volume control really. I have found that the 2nd slider from the left is most useful for cutting low frequencies that can really muddy your tone. So you just pull this slider down some. You should hear a big improvement in tone. Set in the middle each slider is called "flat" neither boosting or cutting (attenuating) a frequency.

Besides enabling you to really dial in the tone you like, EQs are lots of fun to experiment with.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Today I bought a similar amp (Fender but also 5w) and I have a similar guitar as well (Epi LP Standard but probably they use the same pick-ups, I think the difference is the cosmetics). I checked the amps with several guitars and pick-ups in the store and it is our guitar and the pick-ups. :?

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I was going to suggest trying another guitar with your amp if possible? Maybe take it to a store under the pretense of buying a new guitar and wanting to see how it sounds in your own amp? :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@wrkngclsshero)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was able to get some real time practice time with the amp this weekend, and with my tone knob at around 5 with my pick-up selector in the "Treble" position, I have a sound I really like. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. It's amazing how much better I think I sound with a good amp!

"A working class hero is something to be..." -J. Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It's amazing how much better I think I sound with a good amp!
Sure! Yesteday I was talking with the salesman and we agreed there are three main components: the guitar, the cable and the amp. I'd add also the fingers and the pick (once I did read it is the first stage in the amplification). You can also add some pedals but they are not fundamental.

I also discovered the real sound of the bridger pick-up with this amp. It is curious you and me get the same conclusions! :D

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I was never able to get great tone from the pickups in your guitar. made in Korea, the pups sounded mushy and muddy.
your ears do not lie.
sounds like you were able to coax a bit of tone out of them with your amp.
still, those pups are limited due to inferior quality and low price.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote