Skip to content

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

An overcomplicated lightbulb

(@joehempel)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been messing around with making some of my own arrangements again, and today I had kind of a light bulb moment.

I think I've just been over-complicating things. I've been noticing that of course all the fingerstyle stuff is basically derived from a certain chord structure, not necessarily, in one position, but some sort of structure.

So I began just messing around with chord sheets from the internet. I'd take a little basic 3/4 chord song, and build the melody off the chords....which really wasn't difficult to figure out! And soon I was just jamming on some fingerstyle with just a chord sheet!!! Moving up and down the neck as needed by the pitch of the singer. And to top it all off....I didn't need 3-4 pages of tab, it was all done instinctively!

I feel like smacking myself for not realizing this sooner....this to me is VERY exciting. Now what I've been messing with has been more up-beat pop stuff, so I don't know if it would come as easy for slower songs...but either way...I feel a new sense of direction.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@alangreen)
Member Moderator

So, your next step is going to be a CD of Joe Hempel originals, yes?

Then we'll start seeing your name on movie credits and stuff, yes?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I don't think instinctive is the right word. although that is an outcome of time behind the guitar playing.
Joe, I have read and watched your progress for some time now. I have a feeling that you did your time and are now reaping the rewards.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Well done, Joe! Congrats! :D

When you understand the structure and the basics, all seems easier. But it is needed practice and many hours!

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-lee)
Eminent Member

Ah, you've reached another milestone in your playing. Don't you just love when something new clicks? Some "ah-ha" moments take longer than others, but man it never gets old. Congrats!

My writings on playing guitar => No B.S. Guitar

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

So let me get this right . . .
you were following the chords for a song and instead of playing the full chord, you were picking the notes from the chord to build the melody?
I think something close to this was pointed out in the Beginner's Video when we were talking about Hotel California.
It seems like you could choose any of the notes in the chords to carry the song along . . . at least in the intro.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys!! It's been an interesting thing to noodle with.

KR: Yes and no...I wasn't really picking the notes in the chord so much as using the scale within the chord to build the melody and harmony with the root bass. Just picking through the chord will only really create the overall tone of the chords, but not really the true melody....at least I think I wrote that write...I don't know how to explain it well.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@neztok)
Estimable Member

Name of your next album: An Overcomplicated Lightbulb

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

the coolest part about it is when you start to realize that a lot of the songs you're listening to came out of the same process, and you stop hearing them as something external to be tackled(a la pages of tab), but more as someone else doing the same thing you're doing. it really lifts the veil.

ReplyQuote