Clear all

Anchoring Pinky??

54 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
11.6 K Views
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

I think they'll also test for bagpipes, etc.
This is always a sensible precaution.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Yes, but there's still no known cure.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Funny you should ask!

I was looking for bagpipes for a project. I found the right software with all sorts of other esoteric instruments. This stuff is Goosebump Material. If you have a studio...get it!!! Maybe $500 bucks...

ETHNO 2 instrument, version 2.0, 21GB of material, by Motu

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

ETHNO 2 instrument, version 2.0, 21GB of material, by Motu

Cat

Looks very nice. :D

I bought something a little less pricey - Garritan's World Instruments.

Scroll down the page for Garritan Bagpipe Demo on right side

Interesting video on how the guy made the bagpipe band track.

Tutorial Video on making the bagpipe demo

There's a piper around here somewhere. Now and then he gets them out and I can hear the skirl of the pipes across the valley. Unfortunately there's a lot of trees and I can't ever get him in the crosshairs (is the hunting season for bagpipers currently open or closed in Australia, Cat?..). Actually it sounds pretty neat - provided he keep it 'occasionally". :)

Can't see whether he anchors his pinky either...

Cheers,

Chris

This appears to be a traditional use of the pinky to suggest "Up yours, Sassenach"....

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Truth be told...the bagpipes are not Celtic...they are Roman. This early bagpipe was brought over with Julius Ceasar. The MOTU CD has these progenitor sounds on it, as well as the modern day instrument. It's nothing short of amazing how you can blend both old Roman and new Celt pipes through your board and end up with something familiar...but unique, too. My fav assembled tone is Roman/Celt/& Indian knee organ. How freakin' weird is that!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Re: Glen Gould's weird behavior... last week I was listening to a pianist named Stephen Kovacevich playing a Beethoven sonata, and I hear that Gould style vocalization. I thought "huh - there's two of them".

This morning I'm listening to a Brahms intermezzo by pianist Richard Goode. Same thing. Maybe it's a new trend among pianists?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Ha! Recently I noticed Bruce Cockburn with his picking pinky extended but not "anchored" -- just tapping the soundboard (resonator) to keep his place -- "selective anchoring"... so maybe these discussions just heighten our awareness of "weird behavior," eh? :)

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@matthiasyoung)
Eminent Member

While there are many successful guitar players who do this, it is not ideal. Good technique has nothing to do with style, either. Good technique is simply achieving the most with the least amount of effort, and doing so in a way that is healthy for all muscles, joints, and ligaments.

Anchoring the pinky, which means that the finger is extended, introduces more tension in the hand than is necessary. It also restricts motion of the wrist in terms of rotation.

Again, there are plenty of pro players who have "bad" technique, but if you're wanting to know what's correct in terms of simple physiology, don't anchor your pinky.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

maybe these discussions just heighten our awareness of "weird behavior," eh? :)

Must be - I just heard it again (although very briefly) by a third pianist, Paul Badura-Skoda, in a Mozart violin sonata

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4