Skip to content
angus sig SG... or ...

Notifications
Clear all

angus sig SG... or standard SG with angus and '57 buckers?

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@aar70cuda340)
Topic starter  

alright.... im trying to decide on either getting a gibson angus signature SG ($2100) or a standard SG ($1270) with '57 humbuckers ($100) at the neck and angus signature humbuckers ($120) at the bridge. the angus signature adds up to $2100 and ive heard from a lot of people that its a great guitar. on the other hand theres the standard with the humbuckers which adds up to $1490 and saves me $610 but some of the reviews from them wernt as good and i dont think has some of the features ive wanted... and right now im 15 and dont got a lot of money to spare (hoping for a christmas present :) but i dont think my parents will pay all that much for a guitar...) if anyone has any suggestions it would really help me out...

thanks.

*prices from Musician's Friend

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'm 25 and been playing most of my life, and the price i paid for my amps, electric, acoustic, classical, and bass added together is about the same as you're thinking about paying.
my only suggestion is that you start looking at charities to give some of that money to. if you're about to spend 2K on an instrument, you should have a damn good reason and knowledge of what it sounds like.
edit: i'm sorry. that's your first post, and i don't know you. what i'd suggest is that you play a lot of different guitars, until you hear and feel what you like, and not worry so much about reviews and whatnot. what kind of guitar do you have now?

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

1st off, hey aar70cuda340, and welcome to GN!! :D
I would suggest that being "15 without alot of money to spare", you should look at some less expensive models. Epiphone makes some good SG models for a fraction of the price. You don't need to spend that much money to get a guitar like Angus Young, and yes, I think you're right in assuming that your parents won't want to dish out that much for a guitar either. Now if you had just signed a recording contract, and are heading out on the road, sure, why not?! :wink: There are alot of inexpensive good quality guitars out there for you to choose from. You could pick up a nice SG, a good amp, and even some effects if you want for under a grand if you look around. Just a suggestion, and good luck. 8)
P.S. I also agree with playing an instrument before you buy it if you can. Go check out some guitar stores near you. Nothing like playing it & getting the feel of the guitar, rather than looking at pics online. Then you can make a better decision yourself. :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise aar70cuda340 (that's quite a name!)

You could check out EBay. I found 3 listings for the Angus Young SG. You would probably be able to find one most anytime.

Here is a current listing.

Angus Young Gibson SG

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Welcome to GN.

Check out Rondo Music http://www.rondomusic.net

Check out the Agile Valkyrie III on page 5. It's not an exact copy of a SG, but it's pretty darn close and it's not but $239!
If you stay on GN long enough you will hear many people talk about them. I bought the SX GG1 Supreme and it is an excellent guitar. The only thing I don't like on the entire guitar is the cheap nut that is replaceable for about $10. A guy I work with that is alot better player than I am couldn't believe the quality for the price paid(175 including shipping).

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Ebay seems like your best bet. You want a Gibson Angus SG, hopefully you can find one discounted on ebay. Check credible used guitar stores as well. Used gear is sometimes almost perfect, and a lot less expensive.

The standard SG is a great guitar, I've played a few, and they sound great, feel great, look great. The fact that it has "Angus" on the guitar adds a lot of cost to that guitar.

I don't think it's our place to tell you to spend your money on a knock off brand, or any thing else. You want a good quality instrument, that'll last longer than you will live probably, then Gibson is (this is debatable, I'm well aware) a good way to go. I find it best to buy the best, instead of buying cheap, then middle, then a little pricier, then the best. Why spend all that money, when you can just buy the best and be done with it.

With that said, have you played these instruments? Which one do YOU like more, don't go by reviews, or the "angus" label. Clapton is my guitar hero, and there was a time when I really wanted a Clapton strat (I posted a similar post to yours here at guitar noise about it), I finally realized, "Why would I want his name on my guitar, and his guitar in my hands, I want to sound like me." Take that into consideration, although the man may be your idol, figure out what you really want. Play these instruments for hours upon hours, don't let 'em kick you out of the store until you are sure which one you want.

P.S. How much DO you have to spare? How much do you think your parents would be willing to chip in?

Taso

Edit: The link (I think) Wes posted has a beautiful Angus SG, for 1400. Shop around, you'd probably find one that cheap. See if you know anyone that can get you a deal on a used one. If you go used, make sure you have a friend who'se experiences check the guitar out.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Used is a better deal, but this is a Gibson -- so new or used better check out whatever you buy before laying down the cash.

If new: Gibson's manufacturing quality control is not the best. Check workmanship and finish quality, hardware integrity (even simple stuff, such as for tightened screws), setup and fret dressing/finishing. Insist on a setup and hardware adjustments, if necessary.

If used: Same as above -- except maybe the setup, if a private party. Plus, make sure the headstock has not been snapped off and repaired. If it has, there should be a big discount. It may be okay with the repair, but get a pro-tech to assess this for you. Also check for neck warp/twist and similar. These last two items tend to be more common on SGs.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Welcome to GN!

A Gibson SG is on my wishlist as well and I'm a huge Angus fan. With that said, I've pondered the exact thing you are and came to the conclusion I would get a Standard and put the the exact pups you are talking about in it. So, IMO, save some money and get the Standard with the '57 and Angus pups. It'll be a rocker for sure!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I had a look at the specs and, as far as I can see, the signature model is very little different to a std..
The neck dimensions are fractionally different, the finish is slightly different and there is an Angus logo. These are things that set them physically apart. The pickups can easily be changed and a Gibson vibrato can be fitted.
Don't forget that Angus' guitar almost certainly started life as a production guitar.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Incidentally, I watched a live DVD of AC/DC not too long ago and was suprised not to see his signature guitar even make an appearance. Maybe I just wasn't watching close enough, but I know that he didn't play with a trem most of the time.

This is an lot of money, especially for a young person. Chances are good, if you do it, there won't be any backing out. Before you go all in:

Give a few more SG Standards out, try out the Epiphone SG's, try some used SG's, you'll find they're all different, and you might be suprised at the differences between the individuals of the same model, and maybe even more suprised at how the less expensive models sound.

Last thing before I get off my soapbox: Remember the amp! If getting a guitar for $2000 causes you to have to use a $100 amp, it's really not worth it, because you're not even going to get anything out of that guitar, soundwise.

I (and most people probably) would WAY rather play a $1000 guitar out of a $1100 amp than a $2000 guitar out of a $100 amp. The amp is no less than 50% of the sound equation.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hmmm, if you or your parents have $2k to drop on a first guitar could you ask your parents if they could adopt me? Yea, I may be 37 but I'm game! Seriously, that is a ridiculous amount to spend at your age. I'd buy a car with that. When I was your age I was passing a nice Camaro that I wanted to buy for that much. I never came close to getting $1k saved for it.

Is there a particular reason you need the whammy bar? If not, you can cut the cost of the guitar. I think Gibson SG faded guitars are selling for $650 while the SG specials (with the nice Nitro gloss finish) sell for $850. I think Standard SG's go for $1,150 or so. Personally, I got the Special but I wished I would have gotten the Faded for $200 less and have that slicker neck.

Do you have an amp yet? Besides your physical playing ability, I'd guess that most of your “sound” will be affected by your amp and not the guitar.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

there is a epiphone sg with the vibrato and everything on the cover of the new musician's friend for $450. looks just like the angus model

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote