Clear all

Another old noob

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guy's and gal's, another old guy learning to play, again.

Nice place ya got here. Me, I'm 45 and started playing when I was 32. I played for a couple of years then got married. Needless to say it killed my playing as I was battling her gambling problem and that led to depression.

Well I started to play again about 3 months ago and am having a blast. I have forgot most of what I knew and now I feel that I am completely starting all over again.

I have a 61 RI Hotrod that I just spent $650.00 to get back into playing condition and it still needs all new electronics. I have a Peavey Bandit 112 amp and I just bought a Olimpia acoustic. The acoustic needs my tech to rework it, the action is terrible but sounds wonderful.

A quick rant about a review I read here. I bought the emedia "guitar method" and there are two thing I hate about it. 1 is it uses quicktime which has a tendency to over take most of the file associations and 2 he sings during the songs and you can't turn him off. Both very annoying.

Sid

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN fumble fingers

btw i hate QT also and refuse to install it on my PC :twisted:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hey welcome to GN fumble fingers you youngin you..

QT is probably the only thing I DON'T have installed :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll say Hi and Welcome.

Great to hear you decided to start playing again. Things will work out fine.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hello and welcome to Guitar Noise.
I am just a couple of years older than you and have been playing since last October (I use to play bass years ago and started learning guitar but gave up, but now, 25 years later, things are coming together)
There are alot of us "Middle Age" guys and gals here so feel right at home :D

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise Fumble Fingers! (I like the name)

Yep, there's plenty of us geezers on the forum, so you'll never lack for company.

Keep coming back. We have lots of fun and once in a while us old dogs learn a new trick! 8)

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. I will be hanging around a lot when I'm not playing or have other duties such as work or my daughter.

Wes, I think that name applies to most everone somedays :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'll just add my "Welcome!" to everyone else's....

I'm 48 and playing my first ever gig tomorrow.....been trying to master "Band On The Run" all day, my fingers are aching....ah well, at least I can do "Proud Mary" and "Bad Moon Rising" in my sleep....

Yep, you're never too old to rock'n'roll.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the madhouse. I started 4 years ago at 45 myself -- it's a good age to start!
Vic, good luck tomorrow. Have fun. You'll love it.
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Fumble Fingers,

Geez, the place is getting over-run with young kids in their forties... :lol: :shock:

I'll be 60 next year, and have been playing (or at least holding a guitar and moving my hand around) for about a year. I just love it, especially when the practice starts to finally pay off and it all begins to "click". :D

If you're younger or in better condition than Keith Richards (and let's face it - who isn't) you can't possibly be too old for guitar!

(Oh, and I keep QT off my computer too. Didn't realise I was in such wide company...)

ReplyQuote
(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

welcome to GN. You old folks are takeing over quick.
To solve your quicktime problems i present you http://www.videolan.org . It'll play quicktime and it's not evil.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the madhouse. I started 4 years ago at 45 myself -- it's a good age to start!Same here.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I think I'm gonna like this place.

Vic, good luck man, I mean break a leg 8)

mitchell, I have an MCSE. I just hate running Mac on a windoz box

Gonna have lots of ?'s for all and thanks to all the rest that make me feel right at home.

So tell me, I'm playing 11's on my acoustic and having a hell of a time hitting a good sounding barre chord. Do you think thats too much string or should I get my over priced but extremely good tech to work on it?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hey Fumble - 45 is a good age indeed. I was that awhile ago. Got through it okay, lol.

11s can be okay if the guitar is setup right. You might try 10s but like if the guitar is setup wrong it could still be a little tough to play. Lots of times (most times) it's all in setup.

Nice guitar. I looked up the RI and found hotrod car clubs, lots of Rhode Island things and then found it - duh, reissue :)

If it's been sitting around unplayed for a few years, yah maybe a tech should tweak 'er up a little; neck bow, etc. I had a bass like that, used (not 'vintage') and the intonation was off and it was hard to play. I gave the truss rod something like half a turn and everything popped back into place. That was the easiest setup I ever did!

And welcome to the world of music. In whatever form or genre or level, it's a good world to visit these days. Plus you can move in permanent any time.

Take care. :)

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Fumble finger, welcome aboard.

Vic, break a leg dude, do share your experience after the gig.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2