Clear all

Another Practice Question

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have an acoustic, and an electric. I like the electric much more, and intend on playing the electric mostly. I have been practicing mainly with the acoustic since I don't have all my callouses built up yet, and was thinking the acoustic was better for that, and for building finger strength compared to the electric? Should I continue this, or should I be practicing on the one I plan on playing mostly?

(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I think you are right on the money that the acoustic will accelerate your finger development.

I am your opposite in the guitar preference and I like the acoustic better but I just ordered another electric after a year of not having one and look forward to giving my fingers a 'break' once in a while because I practice so much lately my fingers are killing me. My fingers are strong now and the tips are puffy and dense and I have no problem fretting strings but I don't think I will ever form calluses. Sometimes they feel numb and sometimes they hurt but I can practice a half hour straight before I need a 10 minute break and then can go back for more. Times like this I would like to continue straight through by switching to electric.

No doubt we will play one guitar more than the other but it will be fun to be playing both. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@darren)

My opinion is: practice most on what you want to play the most. I personally play anything with steel strings very rarely (don't like the feel in my strumming/picking hand at all). And when I did play one - it was an ovation steel string acoustic - after about a week my calloses started peeling off!

And don't worry, you will develop calloses eventually and when you do, you'll discover that you can then finger chords with a lot less (almost no) effort.

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member

If you plan on playing an electric guitar throughout your playing career, then don't bother with an acoustic. Vice versa.

If you want to play both, then if you find a certain technique is easier on one, practise on the other to ensure maximum proficiency. As for callouses, they'll develop soon enough any way, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I would keep doing what you are doing.

Every riff/lead/song that learn to play, I play on my acoustic first. The reason is, I will learn all my mistakes and fix them...which means I spend a little more time with the acoustic SOOOOO........when I get to my electrics I literally blow through the song with alot less mistakes and it also helps(using acoustic) with each part of my fingers that I use throughout the song.

Just my 2 cents.

ReplyQuote