Notifications
Clear all

Another string question

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@faceofimpurity)
Topic starter  

I just started playing and I was wondering is it ok to use my electric strings on my acoustic?

(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

from what i know, it won't hurt your acoustic, but it won't sound that good. better off getting some acoustic strings

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@jmaikos)
Eminent Member

I would say there should be no problem with putting electric strings on an acoustic guitar. However, you might have to adjust your truss rod since electric strings do tend to be smaller in diameter. The tone changes (some claim to hear a loss of bass or a thin sound). I would think it might not sound very rich, but may give a very vintage feel. However, if you are a "glass half full" type, then the loss of bass may produce a brighter tone.

ReplyQuote
(@jmaikos)
Eminent Member

To elaborate on my last post, personally I would only use electric strings on my acoustic in an emergency. The acoustic bronze strings sound much better IMHO.

ReplyQuote
(@faceofimpurity)
Topic starter  

the main reason I was asking is because the acoustic strings hurt my fingers really bad... I was hoping to get used to the thinner lighter electric ones first.
Thanks for your help.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

You can buy thinner acoustic strings.

Or low-tension acoustic strings like the Martin "Silk & Steel."

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

You might also find a lighter gauge of acoustic string, or a different brand, that has a better feel without that loss of tone. OTOH, once you have those callouses built up, you could play cement without discomfort. (If cement sounded good, which it doesn't. Which is why steel strings are good. I'll stop now.)

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

the main reason I was asking is because the acoustic strings hurt my fingers really bad... I was hoping to get used to the thinner lighter electric ones first.
Thanks for your help.

Give it a month of steady practice and you won't even think about it anymore. The pain goes away pretty quick. We've all been there. Heck, I was there just a couple of months ago. :D

ReplyQuote
(@jmaikos)
Eminent Member

We've all been there. The pain will go away after some diligent practice. You can work through the pain, taking breaks when needed (there's a difference between "normal" pain and actually being hurt, though). It may help to try out a lighter gauge of strings and eventually work your way back up to a heavier gauge, if necessary.

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Although I'm loathe to quote Bryan Adams....isn't there a song where he talks about buying a guitar and playing it "till my fingers bled"?

Power through it i say, there's something satisfying about knowing you practised so hard that you are in serious pain (as long as it's something harmless like your fingertips - not joint pain which is NOT cool or satisfying!!!)

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

the pain is a 'right of passage'

stick with it your fingers will get tough.....

no books really tell you this.....they should!!

honestly in a few weeks you'll wonder what all the fuss is about.....i do now :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@faceofimpurity)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys I put the acoustic strings back on... still painful but I'm taking 5 minute breaks and working through it. :D
Youre right it does sound better.

ReplyQuote