Skip to content
Another strumming/p...

Notifications
Clear all

Another strumming/pick question (sorry!)

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey ya'll! I am looking for maybe a little advice or some tips on strumming with a pick. My problem is that I cant seem to smoothly (key word being smoothly!) strum songs. I tend to get the pick caught on a string on an upstroke, or strum at uneven loudness, or hit one string harder, or the pick gets out of position in my hand (usually as a result of the aforementioned problems).

The odd thing is that I can strum quite smoothly if I just use the side of my thumb (that little bony bump part). I feel like this problem is really starting to hold me back because my left hand can keep up no problem, and if I could get my right hand up to par with strumming, I could really be playing a lot of songs sooooo much better than I am now.

Just getting a little frustrated lately as I can usually find my problem and start to correct it, but I am really stumped with this one. Thanks for any help with this folks!

(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I think a big factor here is to RELAX. Yep, relax. :)

For me, it's only now, after nearly 18 months of playing, that my strumming is becoming a lot smoother and as such I can put more feeling into the song. And I put this down mostly to me relaxing.

Also, don't be too concerned if you miss a string or such; if you're maintaining good rhythm and you are feeling the song then it'll simply give the song some character.

Good luck. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Bennett. I guess being really relaxed is easier said than done. I found that holding the guitar not at a slant helped a bit too. I will keep on working on that. :)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Don't worry it's all about the P word practice. That's a very normal situation to go through and it may take a while to get your strumming smooth. Just keep at it and when you think you have it down practice it some more.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Try doing it really slow, you might see something that you are doing wrong. I know when I slow things down I can find problems with my picking hand sometimes.

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

AK, thats how I figured out that I keep getting the pick caught on some of the strings, which causes it to kind of spring off of one string, and strike others harder. I guess now its just getting that corrected. :)

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

try using a really soft pick...it helped me through the first few weeks as the pick offsets your rigidity a little...once your up to speed then go back to the harder pick......even the best players use different picks for strumming and you get different sounds from different picks picks too....buy a selection and get practicing.....keep at it :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Are you strumming with a really wide motion, maybe with your arm and not your wrist???? Just thinking that could be the problem.

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, my arm moves a little (mostly when I going from strumming down to strumming up), but I think most of the strumming comes from my wrist.

I see videos of people playing sometimes, and it seems like their arm is completely stationary and attached to the guitar almost. I cant see how they get a range of motion wide enough to even hit all the strings that way though.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Are you holding the pick flat or at an angle??

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry about not replying AK!! I didn't see this post, and I just now was re-reading it and noticed yours!! Anyway, I hold the pick at a slight angle, because if I hold it at a large angle, its harder to go from a downstroke to an upstroke. Should it be more flat? I thought it was more of a preference as different angles will give slightly different sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

try using a thin pick at a slight angle.

ReplyQuote