Notifications
Clear all

Any easy fingerpicking songs?

28 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Take a song you already know and fingerpick it instead of strumming. Just forget about the vocals and come up with a nice pattern. That way you can practice your picking hand better since you don't have to worry about the right chords. Plus you'll be developing your own style. If that works see if you can come up with your own progressions, you'll be practicing both hands that way and you'll have written your first song before you even realise it.

ReplyQuote
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ok, will get to it....tnks everyone

I fell in luv wit my G440C Takamine~ :)

ReplyQuote
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wonderful tonight is a good song to fingerpick along to. also Holy Mother and Tears in Heaven which are all on the Easy song database.....Its not to difficult to guess who my hero is...!

hmm....tears in heaven doenst seem easy for me....when i see the tabs, theres a lot of hammering and pulling off....

btw, when can i find wonderful tonight fingerpicking tabs? i made a search but cant find any...

rgds
Kenny

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

For once, I find myself disagreeing with 10141748 - Reincarnate. (Sorry Pete!) Learn the song first - parrot fashion, if needs be -THEN apply what you've learned from the song to other songs. There'll be things like using a double stop at the third fret on the E and B strings, or descending/ascending bass lines....once you've heard them, and played them a few times, you'll be able to use that knowledge to work other songs out.

And I hate doing this - but it's how I learned. Listen to a song you want to learn, work out where the chord changes are - there are LOTS of tab sites out there - and then try and work it out yourself. It'll develope your musical ear. THEN, if you're having trouble working things out, ask where you're going wrong.

I find that things I've had to work out for myself tend to stick in the memory longer than things I've been given.....and although it's always nice to have help at your beck and call, it's also a huge thrill when you actually work something out yourself for the first time.....and when you've done it once, you can do it again!

Good luck.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yippy,

I have gotten wonderful tonight right on target....:)

Its quite an easy dd/uud strumming pattern using G,D,C,D...

A very nice song, when i listen it on U tube, i almost cried.. i tink it was a song for clapton's wife, which is george harrison ex wife i tink..

I am trying to learn tears in heaven too... i heard dat it was a song for clapton's dead son who died in an accident?

Rgds

ReplyQuote
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

For once, I find myself disagreeing with 10141748 - Reincarnate. (Sorry Pete!) Learn the song first - parrot fashion, if needs be -THEN apply what you've learned from the song to other songs. There'll be things like using a double stop at the third fret on the E and B strings, or descending/ascending bass lines....once you've heard them, and played them a few times, you'll be able to use that knowledge to work other songs out.

And I hate doing this - but it's how I learned. Listen to a song you want to learn, work out where the chord changes are - there are LOTS of tab sites out there - and then try and work it out yourself. It'll develope your musical ear. THEN, if you're having trouble working things out, ask where you're going wrong.

I find that things I've had to work out for myself tend to stick in the memory longer than things I've been given.....and although it's always nice to have help at your beck and call, it's also a huge thrill when you ctully work something out yourself for the first time.....and when you've done it once, you can do it again!

Good luck.....

:D :D :D

Vic

Hi Vic,

Tnks for the tips.

For once, i tink i am actually cramming every knowledge and guitar skills into my not so agile brain and fingers(duno whether is this good or bad)... actually i have been learning only for a month or so, and i still find playing an easy song like "stand by me", strumming onto G,Em,C,D with little problems, like not fast enough on chords progression....i still cant play without looking at the fret fingers even with only this four chords... sometimes i even create buzzes a few time when my fingers didnt fret properly onto the chords..etc etc...

...and so, i tried to learn everything i can, even when i have not perfected what i have been learning, i will jump onto the next.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i just found the EASIEST song. nothing can be simpler than this one. it's called We're Going To Be Friends by the White Stripes. I don't know if it's on the easy song database or not maybe i'll post it soon if it's not there. Until then: http://www.fretplay.com/tabs/w/white_stripes/were_going_to_be_friends-tab.shtml

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

A book that started me off with fingerpicking was Stefan Grossman's "Fingerpicking Guitar" (ISBN 0-8256-2818-0). Easy songs include "Oh Papa", "Shake that Thing", "SugarBabe", "Charley James", and "Buck Dancer's Choice" to name a few. Stefan Grossman's website has a downloadable pdf of Charley James if you are interested

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Wonderful Tonight is IMHO, one of the easiest songs I've tried to fingerpick for some reason.

Just play Root, 3, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 2

For example, the C chord would be:

|--------------------0-------------------|
|-----------1-----------1------1---------|
|-------0------0------------0------------|
|----------------------------------------|
|--3-------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------|

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@squidward)

Hi kenllh
Could you post the address of were you got the tab for if?

Thanks
Squidward

"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."
- Jerry Garcia

Have A nice Life
Squidward

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi kenllh
Could you post the address of were you got the tab for if?

Thanks
Squidward

Hi Squidward,

Which one? Wonderful tonight? Tears in heaven? ;)

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

The Floyd's "Brain Damage" is sorta simple, at least the beginning is and it sounds way cool if you have a phaser too :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@velsing)
Trusted Member

Hi

The easiest song for me so far has been 'The balad of Casey Deiss' by Shawn Phillips. Just do a google search for the tabs.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2