Skip to content
Any really good sca...

Notifications
Clear all

Any really good scales lessons on this site?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sleeper_pick)
Topic starter  

Does someone have a good link to teach me the scales?

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Try this on for size.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@sleeper_pick)
Topic starter  

thank you this looks like a really good one, ill wait til a break in classes today to give it an in depth look.

ReplyQuote
(@rpm893)

Good article but it says it is 1 of a 3 part series. I clicked on next lesson a few times and i cant seem to find parts 2 and 3. Any links to these or havent they been written yet?
Thanks-

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I think you're looking for these:

Part 2: https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/a-la-modal/

Part 3: https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/preparing-to-climb/

Please note that I misnamed the main example in the last lesson. Example 2B should actually be the Eb Lydian scale and not the mixolydian as it's currently written. We'll (hopefully) be fixing this shortly.

Knowing scales is just the beginning of applying them for use in soloing (which is only one of many things scales are good for, by the way). If you're interested in soloing, you might find the current series, Turning Scales into Solos, of interest. The first segment is located here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/turning-scales-into-solos-part-1/

Hope this all helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rpm893)

Excellent- Thanks David.

Basically my goal with scales is this. I want to look at the fretboard and say - "i want to play an improv jam in A" then I want to look at the fret board and visualize little LED lights with all the notes that make up the key of A accross the fretboard. Then i want my creativity to kick in and be able to move up and down, left and right with confidence that the notes i am playing are on key.
Your lessons are excellent as are your transcriptions. If you have a book, let me know what it is because i am sold. I currently have a copy of "Fret Board Logic" and some info for Wes that i am starting with. I am basically trying to come up with a good way to engrain those "LED" notes in my head and right now i am doing the CAGED sequence outline in FB Logic.

So, goal one is learn the CAGED scales forms for major pentatonic up and down the neck as well as Lead Pattern 1 and 2. Once my brain has the confidence in the notes, I will let my fingers do the the talking and see where i want to go next.

Right now i have to think to much on what note i want to move to if i am playing in a certain key.

Anyway-thanks again for the links.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Start with the basic major scale. Then move on to minors. I am amazed at the variation the basic scale can bring in playing the guitar.

Good Luck !

ReplyQuote