Skip to content
Anyone got some goo...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone got some good minor pentatonic or Blues riffs?

28 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been fiddling around with the blues scale and minor pentatonic for a bit now. Listening to Stevie Ray and Muddy Waters. I'm having some issues finding good note combos for cool blues licks. Anyone have any they like?

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Absolutely. Go buy the workbook, Blues You can Use. It is excellent, teaches you a ton about the blues, has tabbed out lessons which feature a new blues riff/song/lead with each chapter. It also and has a CD to play along with. There is at least 6 months of work to master for very little $$$:

http://www.amazon.com/Blues-You-Can-Use/dp/0793542057/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2650792-3496139?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179251157&sr=8-1

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

The companion book and CD, also by John Ganapes, Blues Licks You Can Use, is chock-full of blues licks. Most of them are still too challenging for me, but there are a bunch of them, with examples of how to combine them into various blues forms.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

+1 for the "Blues You Can Use" book. It is really good. To satisfy an immediate need try this site there are a few licks here:

http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/LJ_Bl/LJ04b.html

Robbie

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

+1 for "Blues you can use". It is "the book" for learning blues.

I also have Blues by the bar. It is an interesting approach.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I highly recommend Blues You Can Use too. Great book.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Looks like we ALL agree - for once! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So let me get this straight...........Blues You Can Use .........don't buy it?

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

^lol.

Question about that book...does it have tabs as well as real music notes? Or just tabs?

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Kevin,

It has both..

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Figured it did, thought I'd ask anyways. Thanks. :)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Kevin,

Use the "Search Inside" facility at Amazon to browse the index and first lesson. You will see as the book is organized and the topics. The first lesson is available. Here is the link. Check also the author's site ( http://bluesyoucanuse.com/ ) to get audio samples.

The lessons are always divided into three parts: scales, progressions and studies. The studies are songs in which you practice something (bendings, hammer-ons, slidings...). In the scales and progressions parts... is it clear, no? :lol:

There was an old thread... here it is: Blues I can use?

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Hi Kevin,

Use the "Search Inside" facility at Amazon to browse the index and first lesson. You will see as the book is organized and the topics. The first lesson is available. Here is the link. Check also the author's site ( http://bluesyoucanuse.com/ ) to get audio samples.

The lessons are always divided into three parts: scales, progressions and studies. The studies are songs in which you practice something (bendings, hammer-ons, slidings...). In the scales and progressions parts... is it clear, no? :lol:

There was an old thread... here it is: Blues I can use?

Nuno
Wow that search inside feature is great. Never realized Amazon had a great feature like that. Thanks for the links, I'll check them all out.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Is it just me, or does "Texas Blues" sound like a beginnerized version of SRV's "Mary had a little lamb"?

Or is that all in my head when I play it? :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Is it just me, or does "Texas Blues" sound like a beginnerized version of SRV's "Mary had a little lamb"?

Or is that all in my head when I play it? :wink:
That could be why he calls it Texas Rock. :wink: Of course, not everyone (especially those from outside the U.S.) would necessarily know that about SRV.

Most of the pieces in BYCU reference some famous player's style, and sometimes the author even tells you right up front who it is. I'm working on Delta Mood. "It follows the style of Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker, and sounds a little bit heavier than the previous studies."

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2