Notifications
Clear all

are lessons worth it?

15 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@rhcpfan0)
Topic starter  

if so where is a good place to take them? private?
if not are there any good tutorials?
thanks

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

lessons are worth it. you can go on craigslist to find a teacher. if you don't like the first one, get another one.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

With a good teacher, absolutely.

To find a good teacher, ask good players who they studied (or would like to study) with.

Private lessons are better than semi-private or group; they're geared to the slowest student by necessity.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

hey watch it. i've been the slowest player in a group...!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Lessons are a waste of time ..... Psyche! Noteboat!!!! .. I'm self taught but am stubborn. A teacher would have helped me greatly. Not just stubborn, but I couldn't afford one. If you can take lessons, I think it's a good idea. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

In a word, yes. But take some time to look for a good teacher -- one who asks you about and is interested in your goals and the style of music you like. Teacher and pupil have to be a good fit.

And welcome to the musical madhouse!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

As someone who is self-taught, I would definitely take lessons in the beginning if I had the chance to do it over - even now after decades of playing I sometimes think about taking lessons. I've picked up so many bad habits along the way in my haste to learn how to play that with the help of the advice given on this website I'm *slowly* getting rid of them. However in learning new tunes if there is something I can't do I'll "modify" it to fit my playing style

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi rhcpfan0

ALL musicians are partly self taught and partly taught by a teacher.

How so?

Even if you take regular lessons each week you will do the bulk of the actual work of training your fingers and mind in the time between lessons. A teacher provides guidance but cannot accompany you all the time on your journey. And you don't stop learning just because they aren't present. So some self teaching is both inevitable and necessary.

As for the ‘Totally Self Taught' – there's not really any such animal. We all learn from others. It might be a friend or relative who gives us tips or our ‘teacher' might have written the books we follow, the performances or music videos we watch, the websites we join or the forum posts we read. Even the music we just listen to. A teacher doesn't have to be somebody sitting in front of you.

I've had several face to face teachers. The first, who gave me an excellent basic grounding, over two terms of lessons, was well worth the money. A couple of others since were not really good value – through no real fault of their own, we just weren't a good match. My teachers now are mostly books and friends. That suits me perfectly for now, but I don't regret spending the money on the initial lessons.

Having regular lessons can be very useful, but it can also be very expensive over time, so it helps to:

a) Have a good idea of the sort of commitment you are prepared to make (you won't get far with just a handful of lessons) and

b) Find a teacher who suits you and who provides motivation as well as instruction.

Not always as easy as it sounds, but I wish you all the best with the search.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

They really are, especially when you are starting out so you don't pick up bad habits. I took lessons once a week for two summers in a row when I was just starting and they helped me immensely. As others said, find a good teacher and stick with 'um.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Yes they worth it

I asked myself the same question when my mother asked me if I wanted guitar lesson for my birthday...

I thought: "What can a teacher learn me? I have the tab of the song I want to play and just have to play those notes to get the same sounds... I don't need a teacher to tell me where to put my finger to play those songs, it's written on the tab. I just need time to learn them" :roll:

But I had no other gift idea so I accepted to take lesson and now, birthday gift is over and I pay my lesson with my own cash since 5 months :wink:

Lessons learn me A LOT and I think it helped me to learn faster.

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@dubyatf)
Trusted Member

I'll let you know in a few weeks or maybe sooner. My wife bought me an introductory lesson for Christmas - and my first one's this Saturday at 1! I'm really excited about it and looking forward to it. I'm an oldster that bought a guitar and tinkered with it 20 years ago and re-started again with all due vigor about a year ago. Currently, I feel like I need some direction to keep going - and make even more progress- with the guitar so I think lessons will be worth it for me. With that said I've learned a ton off of this forum and watching and listening to youtube and similar things off the internet. Will I maintain the drive and commitment? I hope so and - I think so. Stay tuned.... :mrgreen:

Happy Holidays!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

depends on what your definition of "it" is.
if you are setting your sights high in your expectations, then your Teacher should match them as well.
how far do you expect to go?
how long do you expect it to take to get there?
how much is it worth to you?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dommy09)
Trusted Member

I had lessons for nearly two years, and when my teacher (who was very good and I admired a lot) moved away, i decided that i head learnt enough from him that i could continue on my own.

So if you can afford lessons, i would highly recommend them.

"We all have always shared a common belief that music is meant to be played as loud as possible, really raw and raunchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." -Bon Scott

ReplyQuote
(@aluth23)

I just started online lessons threw Jamorama. I liked it cause they have a course thats based for just acoustic guitar, which is what i want to learn for now. Its pretty nice, website has a 6 lesson trail thats free. If you get the "online" (non book) version you can download the pdf's and lesson videos in one zip fall to your computer so you don't always have to be on the internet to use. Comes with a bunch of what they call Jam tracks too were you can play along with a full band. I really like it an after a week I am playing along with 2 jam tracks (I've only been playing guitar since Thanksgiving) My dad got me the lessons as a Christmas gift but it was only 40 bucks for the whole thing. Comes with some other software like a game that teaches you to hear a cord as its being played. Well worth the money IMO.

And I'm just fine with all my time
To live until I die~B.C.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I can't see how lessons would do anything but make you better. You learn faster than being self-taught.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote