Clear all

Arpeggio Question

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dzieger)
Topic starter  

Hi there -

So I've decided to start learning about arpeggios. I've found some good info on how to build them (from all possible notes of a chord) - but I haven't seen much about how to use them.

Could I use arpeggios in place of rhythm chord strumming? Say, if I had a simple song where I'd strum G-C-D, would playing the arpeggios for each measure give the right 'effect'?

If so, how much / how many notes do you aim for each measure? A full set of notes from lowest to highest could be 10+ notes...seems like a lot per measure. Would I start with 4 notes per measure, and work up to 8 (assuming 4/4 time) or more?

I believe I read that you want to start the arpeggio with the root note - do I want to end on a root as well, or does it not matter?

Thanks for your advice...

-Dave

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

using open chords, G C D, as in your example I strummed them then started the count over, but after strumming G I appeggiated the C chord. all six strings (notes) then strummed the D.

that is the simplest way of adding interest to a simple chord pattern.

what you are looking for includes more notes than six. I imagine that would work, but where would the other notes be found?

starting on the root note makes sense. ending on the root is possible with my example.

in general I dont arpeggiate more than six notes.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You can use appergios almost everywhere. You can use it to come up with a funky rhythm part, use it as a lead-in to a blues lick or play more poppy 'piano style' appergios. There's really no clear-cut limit to what you should use them for. Try to create a riff using appergios and play that riff over the chords.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Everybody hurts - REM
House of the Rising Sun - Animals
Californication - RHCP

All built around straightforward arpeggios - you can use them all over the place

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Couple more...

Don't Cry - GnR
Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers

If you count piano/synth arpeggios that usually span a good couple of octaves, then just about anything Muse has ever done too... Sometimes it's hidden as a quiet accompanyment rather than a lead, bit it's there somewhere. (I mean that as a gentle dig at a band I really like rather than a slating, just in case you're wondering) :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi there -

So I've decided to start learning about arpeggios. I've found some good info on how to build them (from all possible notes of a chord) - but I haven't seen much about how to use them.

Could I use arpeggios in place of rhythm chord strumming? Say, if I had a simple song where I'd strum G-C-D, would playing the arpeggios for each measure give the right 'effect'?

If so, how much / how many notes do you aim for each measure? A full set of notes from lowest to highest could be 10+ notes...seems like a lot per measure. Would I start with 4 notes per measure, and work up to 8 (assuming 4/4 time) or more?

I believe I read that you want to start the arpeggio with the root note - do I want to end on a root as well, or does it not matter?

Thanks for your advice...

-Dave

hi mate

i've just started playing some arpeggios. The most important things to remember is that arpeggios is equivalent to strumming, so how many notes to play depens on the song rhythmic pattern. I mean if the song is based on eight notes you could play any arpeggio pattern that includes up to eight notes per measure. Of course you could change the pattern a bit like you would do with strummin

I'll try to explain better with an example

if i play Guns and Roses "Patience" with a

d/du/u/du strummin pattern

if I play it with arpeggios I would do something like (let's take a C chord)

5th string, 4th string, 3rd string, 1st, 2nd, 3rd

I also miss a pick when I change from the 3rd to 1st string to replicate the third beat skipped downstrum

Matteo

ReplyQuote