Clear all

Arpeggio Question

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've run across a couple of songs where Em is fretted and an arpeggio with bass pluck is played on the E, G, B, E strings. It finally dawned on me the fretting does not come into play in the arpeggio. It does not look like it is a set up for the next chord, which is an Am. I can see the sense when the bass note is on the A string, but wonder why a chord is fretted for the E bass note arpeggio.

No big deal, just something I was wondering about! Another of those marvelous mysteries of the guitar!

(@davidhodge)

When playing arpeggios, you don't always have to fret the full chord that is the basis of the arpeggio. In the example you site, you certainly can play that Em without using any fingers at all.

But (and you knew that was coming, right? :wink: ) there is a distinct advantage to having your fingers in place. If you happen to miss on your arpeggio (hitting the D string instead of the G for instance, and believe me it happens a lot!), then practically no one besides yourself is going to know that you made a mistake since you've simply hit a different note of the same chord.

As you develop speed and accuracy, you can decide when and when not to use all the fingering of a chord when playing arpeggios.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, that is helpful. Thanks. Although I'm more likely to miss the bass note than the treble.

ReplyQuote