Clear all

Artificial Nails???

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@aodor)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have seen pictures and videos in which some guitarists use metal or similar picks in the index to pinky of the right hand.

Whats the name for those "picks"?
Are they useful for all kinds of guitar playing?
Where can they be bought?

============
Alberto Odor, MD
Mexico City
============

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

They're called fingerpicks. Most music stores have them and you can get them online too.

Elderly has a nice selection:

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/cats/PKFG.html

They're mainly used with certain folk styles, on banjo, dobro, steel guitar and others.

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

Picks are just little pieces of plastic, that you can you to strum the strings with. They give off a diffrent tone, and are usally held between the thumb and index finger. They can be bought at any music shop that sells guitars.
They cost a lot, however. :lol: Some can cost up to 10 cents a pieces. :D They can be used in any kind of guitar music, and it is highly recomended that you try some. but they come in all diffrent sizes and shapes and colors and materials and some even have pictures on them.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@aodor)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Fingerpicks is what I was looking for.

Thanks

============
Alberto Odor, MD
Mexico City
============

ReplyQuote
(@aodor)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

mmmmm

they come in different sizes, how can I know which ones to order?

============
Alberto Odor, MD
Mexico City
============

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The metal ones are, I think, either small (for children) and large. Something like that. But they're not very thick metal and the metal is easy to bend. When you get them you put them on your fingertip and bend the the little 'arms' around your fingertip for a snug fit. The main part of the pick goes over the pad part of your finger, with the tip curving up over where your nail is, so when you pluck the string it slides. If you put them on the other way, where the tip curves down as if it was a real nail, it'll catch the string.

The plastic ones are thicker and don't really form easily; you have to get the size closer to what your fingertip is.

To start with, if you can't get to a store to try them, just get 2-3 that are more or less in the middle between the thickest and thinnest ones. And unless you have unusually small hands and thin fingers, get the regular sized ones.

You might also get a thumbpick to match; most people who use fingerpicks also use thumbpicks.

ReplyQuote
(@pitney2000)
Eminent Member

i have a really hard time hanging on to a flatpick and fingerpicks really take time to get used to for me. i play fingerstyle and had big problems with the nails breaking or wearing down the entire nail on my first finger till it was raw soooo i went to the nail salon and got acrylic nails put on my first and second fingers of my right hand...the techs were quite confused at first cause i only wanted two nais...it was pretty funny breaking them in ..especially since a lot dont speak great english...so now i have built in picks that work really great for me ...

something a little different to think of

joyce

ReplyQuote
(@aodor)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey Pitney, that sounds like a clever approach. Do they last much? Do they fall of when your own nail is growing underneath?

============
Alberto Odor, MD
Mexico City
============

ReplyQuote
(@pitney2000)
Eminent Member

accuallly they are great..as they grow out you just go have them filled in ..some people worry that you can get infection by leaving them on too long but i have never had that problem ...you do however have to be sure the tech understands what you are going to be doing with them ...they have to be put on thicker than what they may be used to ...not reallll thick but more than a regular acrylic that is not going to see the punishment that yours will....they do crack and they can break ...when they do you can use some super glue..i recommend the glue with the brush...be sure to get to the salon as soon as you can so they can fix it ..soon you will know just how you want them applied for your style of playing...i am pretty rough on mine ...i have them apply them longet than i want and dont let them file them much ...i like to custon file mine for what feels good playing...dont be afraid to stop them from filing them cause if they dont speak english well they will nod and say yes and not understand at all lol....its a learning process so give it some time to figure out just what works for you....i never put polish on my nails with the two acrylic...it just wears off and with acrylic the polish doesnt come off very cleanly ...if you have anymore questions ...im around...

Play On...
joyce

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have been using my natural nails but keep 3 to 4 coats of Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails (with nylon) on them.
My instructor (a classical guitarist) wears artificial nails.
IMO fingerpicks are very difficult to use and play smoothly mainly because you can't feel the strings.(I guess you would have to get used to them)

ReplyQuote
(@aodor)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yhank you to all:
I will try to see if I can let my nails grow enough. The problem is I'm a surgeon and have to wear surgical gloves and they don't go along well with long nails. However it would be the same problem with artificial nails "glued" to my own nails, and as for the fingerpicks, from what I have seen in this thread, they are hard to use.

I'll give a shot to let mine grow long (I love fingerstyle guitar) and see if they don't fight with the surgigal gloves.

Alberto

============
Alberto Odor, MD
Mexico City
============

ReplyQuote