Im 45 years old and I have always wanted to play guitar ,the other day
a guy at work gave me a brand new esteban giutar package not even
opened,Im not sure of the quality but Im sure for a brand new beginner
it will have some good qualities.

Any ways ,I thought this might be a place I could come to ask questions
and get good answers.

My first question deals with an electric tuner,my neighbor who has
played guitar for a while tells me that if this guitar is not of high
quality it may go out of tune fast and I should get a electric tuner.

Your thoughts on this?

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm all about electric tuners. Good investment. I like the ones that have settings for open-g and things.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The most useful is a chromatic tuner, rather than a "guitar tuner". A guitar tuner is set up to make standard tuning (EADGBE) easy, but makes any other tuning a pain.
A chromatic tuner doesn't "lead" you to standard tuning, but will tune to any note you want. As a beginner, you'll not use other tunings very much, but as you progress, you'll start to make use of them and appreciate the chromatic tuner much more.
The price differential between the two is very small (a couple of dollars in the US). A good one would be the Korg CA40 at around $20-25

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

I second the vote for the Korg-but mine says GA-40. Anyway, it's cheap, sturdy, and simple to use; really perfect for a beginner (like me).

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I second the vote for the Korg-but mine says GA-40. Anyway, it's cheap, sturdy, and simple to use; really perfect for a beginner (like me).
You have the "guitar" tuner.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Just as an idea. I bought a Korg TM40 this summer. It is a tuner and also a metronome and a metronome will be very useful for you in the near future. The difference is about 6-10 $ (for example, see Amazon).

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Allan,

A good tuner is a relatively inexpensive investment in your practice time. Check/tune your guitar before every practice. You can find several good tuners such as this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-CA30-Chromatic-Tuner?sku=210527

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Allan, I have read very bad reviews concerning the Estaban Guitar set. You may not even want to bother. Spend $100 to $200 for something decent. I think the links to the Estaban reviews are in one of these forums.

BJ

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member

Just as an idea. I bought a Korg TM40 this summer. It is a tuner and also a metronome and a metronome will be very useful for you in the near future. The difference is about 6-10 $ (for example, see Amazon).

Yea, a tuner/metronome is best in my opinion. I have a Boss TU-80 and I'm completely satisfied. Bought mine for 30 bucks. Also, I dropped it a couple of times and it still works so I guess it's relatively good quality...or I'm just lucky. :lol:

Oh yea, and it's batteries included. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Hi Allan.
Good to see another Cincinnatian on here. :)

I just have a cheap tuner that came with my guitar but I have heard good things about the Korg tuner that dhutson recommended and it is on my Christmas list.

You have come to the right place being an adult who is just learning to play. A lot of us here are the same and there is lots of good tips/advice to be had here. I didn't start until just last year when I turned 36.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@geonjules)
Estimable Member

44 and started 2 months ago. I can't put the thing down (but I'm smoking less :) ).

" Thoughts that pay homage to frustration will attract frustration. When you say or think theres nothing I can do,my life has spun out of control,and I'm trapped,thats what you will attract ".

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Definitely get a tuner, even if just to have your ears get used to a properly tuned guitar. People who tune their kinda 'sorta okayish' won't develop their ear to the basic level required for any musical instrument. Esteban has a pretty poor reputation so things might be a bit more tough then usual. But it's should be good enough to have you start your first steps and decide whether playing guitar is something you want to continue to do. Have fun and welcome to GN! :D

ReplyQuote
(@surfbluewavesbc)
Trusted Member

I also have the Boss TU-80 its simple easy and the metronome comes in handy. Definitely get a tuner my guitar teacher used to tune mine by ear before I figured out how to tune. It wound up that his guitar and my guitar were both out of tune.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I've used Sabine tuners for a lot of years and always had really god luck with them.

My present day one is a STX-1100, a good all-around chromatic tuner for about $45.00. It has a built in mic for acoustic, auto-shutdown and is easy to read. (LED lights, green for string notes,red for sharps and flats)

My only problem is they disappear every two years or so, no breakdowns.

The STX-1500 can also generate tones, this is great for learning how to tune by ear.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@decieved)
Trusted Member

Guitar tuning devices frustrate me. ive always thought tuning a guitar by ear was easier and faster.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2