Clear all

B chord problems

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@geonjules)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Been playing for 7 months now and I have the open chords down pretty good. I'm working on the B chord for over a week now with no improvement. Its really holding me back on alot of songs and I'm getting very discourged. Is there a way to "cheat" on the B chord?
I know most of you will say "practice, and it will come", but so far its not. The F chord is a problem too.That barre stuff is very tough, and I've read all the tips without too much luck. I also feel like I'm in a rut, playing the same old stuff over and over. I can't seem to get over this hump. Maybe Its time for lessons, but I screw up alot more in front of people, so Iv'e been reluctant.

" Thoughts that pay homage to frustration will attract frustration. When you say or think theres nothing I can do,my life has spun out of control,and I'm trapped,thats what you will attract ".

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There's a couple of "cheats" I know to play the B chord open, but neither of them are that wonderful.....

The first one is to simply play the triad you need....B(root) D# or Eb(3rd) and F# or Gb(5th) like so....

E A D G B E
2 2 1 x x x

but of course you've no treble in that, and the root isn't the bass note.

A slightly fuller way, but trickier, is to play the same chord with your 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers while muting the G string, playing the B string open and fretting the top E string with your pinky....

E A D G B E
2 2 1 x 0 2

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi GeoNjules,

Something that made me improve the barre chords was play 7th barre chords. I mean, when you play, for example, A7 or D7 using the barre, [575655] and [x57575] resp., you can help the index with middle. When I returned to play F or B chords, my index was more strengthened.

I also played positions like [555555], [666666]... just for strengthening the index. The middle positions in the neck are easiers than 1st and 2nd fret, too.

But you said it, it is a problem of practice and, in this case, also strengthening.

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

I seem to play B7 quite a lot, and hardly ever need a B, so I'm better at the 7. So if it fitted the music I'd probably see if I could cheat and use a B7. But if a B is needed I tend to use a 4 finger version not a full barre. It's a hangover from doing it that way before I started on barres I suppose. Just xx4442. The index only has to handle one string (the high E at fret 2).

If you want a simple 'trebly' version you can just use the three thinnest strings xxx442 - that gives you the B, D#, F#, which is all you need, and you can use whichever fingers are easiest. But it sounds a bit thin, and you need to be able to only strum the 3 strings. Maybe you could try xx4442 but aim for the 3 thin strings - if you misjudge and hit the 4th string it will either be an OK note for the chord, or you may have muted it, which won't matter.

The final cheat is to use a capo on the 2nd fret and then play an A. :P But depending on what the song is, that might just move your problem to another chord. :( Good luck anyway.

Cheers,

Chris

EDIT:

The way I started on barres was to practice a little each day, without getting stressed about making it the 'main event'. I also started in the middle of the neck and worked gradually back up towards the nut. Starting right away with an F seemed tougher to me, because of the pressure you need to press the strings down at a sharper angle right next to the nut, and the general finger stretch stuff at the wider frets. I just found it easier further along, so that's where I started. Worked for me anway. :)

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I wouldn't freak out too much unless its just sounding horrible. I would keep playing the songs that you're having trouble with even if it sounds a little bad. Its one of those things that just comes to you one day. Maybe when your watching TV or something you can do the barres higher up on the neck until you get to the nut like Chris_C said.

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

The biggest problem for most new players with those "A position" barre chords, is that first string being dead (muted)...you can use this to your advantage until you get better at it.
For B major, there's nothing wrong with 2 2 4 4 4 x, which is what you'll get if your barre attempt inadvertently mutes the high E string.
Also, a perfectly acceptable B7 is x x 4 4 4 5, a movable "mini-barre", which is quite easy.

The above examples for B are equally applicable down one fret to Bb, or up the neck to C, Db (C#), D, and so on.

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You can also use all four fingers for this chord, many do and it is perfectly acceptable. You can slide this form up pretty high on the neck before it gets overly crowded. And, you can play the sus4 and 7th chords with simple movements.

B Major

e---2i-----
b---4p-----
g---4r-----
d---4m-----
a---2i-----
e----------

Bsus4 (slide pinky up one fret)

e---2i-----
b---5p-----
g---4r-----
d---4m-----
a---2i-----
e----------

B7 (lift ring finger)

e---2i-----
b---4p-----
g---2i-----
d---4m-----
a---2i-----
e----------

Another misconception about barre chords is that players think they must fret all strings with the index finger. So, they press down with a death-grip to try to fret all the strings. But you do not have to do this. With the B Major, your index only has to fret the 5th (A string) and the 1st (high E string). Your other fingers are fretting the B, G, and D strings. :D So, you only have to fret with the very tip of your index and the fat part of your index on the high E. This takes almost no pressure at all, try it and see.

Slightly roll your index toward the thumb, you do not use the underside of your index finger. It is rolled about halfway on it's side. Also, you do not have to hold your index rigid straight as if you were pointing. Let the finger arch slightly.

Here is a good pic showing a B chord fretted with all 4 fingers. Note that the index finger is arched and rolled slightly toward the thumb.

The full barred F chord is the same. The index need only fret the 6th string (low E) with the tip, and the B and high E strings with the fat part of the finger. Your other fingers easily fret the A, D, and G strings. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member

Maybe Its time for lessons, but I screw up alot more in front of people, so Iv'e been reluctant.

This is a common feeling, but try to not let it get to you.

When I first started golf lessons (bear with me here....), my first lesson I was so nervous. The instructor had cameras set up to film my swing, and I knew we were going to sit down and look at me...in...slow...motion....

After a couple warmup swings...he stopped me and said:

"Relax...look I know you're not perfect. If you were you'd be on tour, and I'd want lessons from you. The point of lessons is for you to screw up...and for me to fix you. So get up there and make your first mistake!"

That did the trick, and I lowered my scores from 100+ to the mid 80's in the course of a single summer.

Since then, I've kept that little gem with me, and take it to every new thing I try. In fact, when going to a lesson, I actually look forward to making mistakes. Either they're nerves and it's good learning how to deal with that...or it's something I've been doing in practice and my teacher can jump on it and fix me. :)

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I understand the frustration (believe me) but you shouldn't try to "cheat" the B chord. You NEED to know Barre Chords, and cheating now will only hamper your development with these chords. There are PLENTY of songs that require Barre Chords to play them.

Give it another week or two of practice. Before you know it you'll be playing them just fine.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote