Notifications
Clear all

Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@frank)
Topic starter  

Is J.P. flat-picking or, finger picking the beginning bars of this song? I have listened to this song since it was first released so that should give you an idea of my age and now, I'm trying to play it. I have been playing guitar for about a year and a half. I have been reading this site daily for over a year and have learned "tons" from you guys. Thanks....

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I believe he's fingerpicking but you can play it with a pick as well.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I do a hybrid form of picking.
I hold the pick with thumb and index finger and use the middle finger for picking as well.

he probably finger picked.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

the first two notes in the song are played at the same time...they have to be fingerpicked. Beyonf that I guess you could flat pick it, but the song is definetly originally fingerpicked.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I play it with a flatpick and hybrid picking. I don't do that with all Zep tunes though - I do Stairway fingerpicked (I put the pick in my teeth - easy to grab when I need it for the second half of the tune)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I fingerpick it myself.
The question really shouldn't be how did Page play it but how do you want to play it?

ReplyQuote
(@frank)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the input. I have tried both ways. I still can't get a lot of volume fingerpicking it, though. That is one area I need to work on. I haven't tried the hybrid picking, though. I will give a whirl and see....You're right, though...I need to give it my interpretation and go from there. Thanks again....

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I would fingerpick the intro but I always find it tough to fingerpick the heavier parts of the song with some of the faster strumming.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

I fingerpick this song as well. I usually don't use a pick, they keep slipping out of my hands.

The original was a combination of fingerpicking and strumming for the heavy ending.

But you probably have this figured out by now, or better yet a version that works for you.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i pick using my nail so i have never used a pick.Hey jude wats a pick :lol:

ReplyQuote