Clear all

Back at it after a break ( long story)

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@landog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Some of you may remember me. I started playing guitar back in early December. I signed up for lessons with a great guitar teacher.

I was very excited intially and thought I made great progress. But, (and there's always a but) I think I got burned out after about 4 months. But we started to get into alternate picking and I was still very much struggling with Bass-Stum and strumming in general.

My chord changes were not as smooth as I thought they should be and I had developed what I realize now was a bad habit regarding the placement of my right arm over the guiter. The net effect was that my right arm was acting like a lever, so when I would let go with my left hand to change chords, the guitar would move out of position, thus making the chord changes even harder.

Anyway, I think I was putting way too much pressure on myself, so I quit the whole thing. I wasn't having fun at all anymore. I wasn't working, and although I had plenty of time for practice, I think I might have obsessed over too much initially.

Well, I put the guitar away for a little over 2 months, didn't touch it at all except to move it from the living room to my den because the wife got tired of it just sitting there.

Sure enough, as soon as I moved it into my den, it was like it was calling out to me: "Hey Steve, give it another shot, see what you still remember."

So, about 3 weeks ago it pulled it back out and started again. I've got to tell you, I think the break really did me some good. Of course I had forgotten a few things, and the callouses on my fingers were all gone, but it all came back pretty quickly.

I decided to commit fully to learning alternate picking. I evaluated my right arm position and my overall posture and my chord changes are improving dramatically. I'm even learning two Barre Chords (F & Bm). I've reorganized my practice to include fretboard and theory work. There's no screwing around until I've done what I consider my mandatory exercises.

I haven't signed back up for lessons. My teacher was great, but I feel like there are some things I need to work out on my own for now.

So, I write this for anyone who's started with a lot of enthusiasm and may have also gotten burned out. Give a rest, put it away for awhile, then come back. I think you'll be surprised how quickly it all comes back.

Cheers,
Landog

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Well, we're glad you decided to give guitar another chance! We have all hit those plateaus where we just want to quit (or throw the guitar into the nearest fire), and, you're absolutely right, taking a break can do wonders for your attitude! Now you know what to do when you hit the next one! :D

Glad you're back!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

take it slower and you should be ok.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

if we begin to think about our guitar as something that will be with us most of our lives.
putting it down for a week, a month, a year, a few years in my case, does not spell disaster.
I guess it is like bicycles.
I don't ride my bike every day, yet when I get on I still know how.
and then I realize it feels pretty cool. I should do this more often.
it is that way with many things.
we cannot do them all.
but it sure is cool knowing that I know how.
and appreciate it when I do ride a bike and play a guitar.

where's that circus?
:D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

Nice to see you back. My story isn't so dissimilar except that I chose to let work and career get in the way for a few years. Finally managed to get life into some sort of order and I picked up the guitar once again.

Nowadays I find that I want to pick up the guitar every day and almost always I manage to make sure that I do. But, if a chance comes for quiet time with my wife or one of the kids says "Let's go for a coffee" I don't have any dilemma and the guitar can stay in the corner for a while. There is always time later. Like dogbite said - the guitar and music will be with me for the rest of my days. It is now an intrinsic part of me and although it took me some time to come to that realisation it feels good.

Enjoy that guitar of your's - but remember .... it's meant to be fun.

D

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@landog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all,

It really feels great to get back in the groove of things. Unfortunately, my early retirement won't last. I've got a job interview next week and if all works out, I'll be back in the grind.

I am definitely having fun again and oddly enough, music theory is really starting to intrigue me. It's like when I took Trig and Calculus. Initially it was all gobbeldegook(technical word), but slowly the picture of how it all fits together started to appear.

Cheers,
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I am definitely having fun again and oddly enough, music theory is really starting to intrigue me. It's like when I took Trig and Calculus. Initially it was all gobbeldegook(technical word), but slowly the picture of how it all fits together started to appear.

Calculus? That actually made sense to you? Are you going to see the Harry Potter movie tonight?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

You've learned a lot more than two barre chords... keep plugging away at the music theory and you'll find out soon enough that you know hundreds of chords.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I never liked calculus much but it made more sense to me than geometry which shouldn't have been that hard.

But I digress, good luck with your renewed interest in guitar playing...once you're hooked you always come back.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote