Clear all

Bar Chord Change Squeak

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@brentb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My bar chord changes squeak a lot, especially with my acoustic. Any tricks to get over this (other than oiling my hands)?

Spent my whole life with open chords, but now am branching out a bit.

brent

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't worry about it. As you become more comfortable with barre chords, you'll find you'll apply much less pressure. That might eventually result in less squeaking. In the meantime, I kind of like the sound of fingers on strings when it happens. It makes the sound more intimate. (Unless, of course, you're squeaking like a herd of mice, but, as I say, that'll diminish as your comfort level increases!)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I wouldn't worry about it. As you become more comfortable with barre chords, you'll find you'll apply much less pressure. That might eventually result in less squeaking. In the meantime, I kind of like the sound of fingers on strings when it happens. It makes the sound more intimate. (Unless, of course, you're squeaking like a herd of mice, but, as I say, that'll diminish as your comfort level increases!)
Yep - what he said

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

It is as well that there is a squeak in changing chords. If there is not, people would think there you are playing computer composed music somewhere in behind.

So enjoy the squeak and make sure there is not too much of it.

Good Luck !

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Even the greatest guitarists can't entirely eliminate that squeak - it's just something that, in time, you'll notice less and less. As you gain more experience and your technique improves, you'll find yourself - either consciously or subconsciously! - lifting your fingers off the strings a little before replacing them. Speaking for myself, it just sort of happened one day - I noticed there was a lot less squeak, wondered why, and found that I was indeed lifting my fingers off the strings just a touch.

The only time I ever really notice it now is with brand new strings - I hate the first day or so!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@brentb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I feel better

brent

ReplyQuote