Clear all

Barre chord delima...im about to scream

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So my very first lesson was tonight. I enjoyed it I very much. But, man, we went over these barre chords which I have been avoiding for months now. The problem is, I am double jointed which means my fingers take a weird dip in the middle, so when i stretch my finger out, my fingers dip inwards, making it really hard for me to form a barre chord. Any advice?

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Did you let your teacher know about that? He should have some good advice for ya. I know that Wes Montgomery had double-jointed thumb and hes one of the best Jazz guitarists. Theres also a very obscure blues/jazz guitarist by the name of Martin Malloy who has a couple double-jointed fingers and he is also quite great. So, work at it some more and see...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Did you try rolling your index finger back a little?

Cutting your fingernails might help too. (I just read your other thread)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i am also what you refer to as "double jointed". In actuality there is no such thing as "double jointed" but i know exactly what you mean. We just have more flexibility and are able to bend our fingers back further than the avg person.
IMO it comes in very handy when doing A shaped barres. It makes it easier to clear the high E to avoid muting it. when i first learned to do A shaped barre chords i used my index and ring fingers to fret the strings, with some practice now i'm able to do it with any finger. I even barre my open A most of the time by habit unless the progression dictates a different fingering.
Just keep practiceing, build up the strength and you'll come to see it as an advantage. :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote