Clear all

BARRE CHORDS/ I NEED HELP PLEASE

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@gazzariff)
Topic starter  

HI GUYS
JUST STARTED TO LEARN BARRE CHORDS. IVE JUST ABOUT LEARNT THE NOTES ON THE FRETBOARD BUT WOULD BE GRATEFULL FOR ANY ADVICE ON BARRE CHORD VIDEOS, CHARTS, SITES TIPS ECT. AS I SEEM TO HAVE HIT A BRICK WALL ON MY OWN. CHEERS. 8)

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The the Barre Chord Lesson at Acoustic Guitar. It has photos. And try as well Barre Chords at Cyberfret. There are photos there too.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

And only a few threads away: My Barre Chord thread 8)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

barre chords , i remember my struggle.jus stick with em.They WILL fall thorough and you will pass 8)

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I've been learning barre chords on an acoustic with really worn frets, but i stuck with it and its coming through. so just keep it up.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I hope Nils doesnt mind but really this chart was the best thing since sliced bread for helping me learn barre chords.

Nils Website
http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/

Go to chord charts.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I hope Nils doesnt mind but really this chart was the best thing since sliced bread for helping me learn barre chords.

Nils Website
http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/

Go to chord charts.

Geoo
Geoo, I don't mind at all. That is why I made it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gazzariff)
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Barre chords can take a fair while to master.

I've seen a few books that just bring up barre chords, show you the idea and then move right along to the next page without actually mentioning that they can take months to master.

Once you know that learning them can take a long time it's not so discouraging.

Everybody has different fingers - different lengths between the joints, different skin and muscle coverage etc. And the distance between strings varies as you go up and down the neck, and also from guitar to guitar.

But we all start out believing that our own fingers are just "wrong" for barres. Like most guitar difficulties, this feeling goes away with practice.

In many instances you don't need to alway do a full barre. There are many versions of partial barres where it's much easier to just press down a couple of strings that aren't already fingered. Rolling the barring finger back slightly also helps. But mostly it seems to be just practising getting the feel, position and pressure right for the various positions.

Good luck.

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, barre chords are always hard at first. Took me a few months to master. They aren't easy!!!

Stick with them, a lot of it is your hand needs to develop certain muscles more, calluses, etc. This comes with time and practice.

I wouldn't recomend learning the half barre versions. It's a short cut, you need to know how to do barre's. "The real shortcut, is to do it the right way the first time" (I butchered that qoute)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@gazzariff)
Topic starter  

Thanks once again for all the encouragement, I will stick with it.

ReplyQuote