Clear all

Barre Concern

50 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I know, barre chords need a lot of practice. I am just now getting serious about developing this skill, but I have a concern about my index finger.

Rarely, and I do mean rarely, can I get my index finger to actually hold down the B string. I roll, I squeeze, I move it around, and it almost seems like the finger is too "flabby" between the hand and the first knuckle to hold the string down.

I have light strings on my Les Paul Studio, the action is fairly low. I can almost always get the other 5 strings down, but hardly ever the B string.

Has anyone else ever run into this?

Thanks.

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

(@gosurf80)
Eminent Member

This is one of those things that only practice can really take care of- assuming that you're using proper technique, of course.

If the barre in particular is your hang-up, try fretting ONLY the barre and making sure all the strings ring out before adding the other fingers to the chord shape.

Just keep working at it- you'll get it.

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Make sure the string is not under the crease opposite your knuckle.

Also, I've learned that sometimes less pressure on the strings can be better. Counter-intuitive, I know, but for me, especially on the one guitar I have that sports jumbo frets, too much pressure can actually dull the chord while it screws with the intonation.

I don't have a technique for that, it was a trial and error thing to keep from making the notes sharp, and it's done by feel. You might experiment for a while and see what happens.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

maybe this is what you mean by "roll", but if not, try rotating your index finger slightly. it doesn't take much, and changing the placement of your thumb behind the neck may help you do this.

some players prefer a smaller radius (more curved) fingerboard to help with this problem.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

I've been having the same problem but I'm finding that a bit lighter pressure and getting the barre finger right on the fret helps. If I get my finger too far behind the fret there's no way I can get that B string to ring. Practicing the barres also seems to be creating a bit of a callus on the side of my index finger which helps a lot. Good luck and keep practicing.

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Hi daven,

same "problem" here, the B string is the trickiest to hold down for me as well. After 6 months of practice, I am getting much better and find that if I move my index finger a bit higher up, holding down all the frets gets easier. On the other hand, my muscels get quite sore after a bit of playing.

Changing into barre chords is still difficult to do, and I set myself a goal of being able to play barre chords relatively well by the end of the year.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Understand that without seeing you play, this is purely guesswork, but a typical beginner mistake is to use too much of the index finger to barre. By "too much," I mean having the tip of the index finger extended way beyond where it's needed. If you get only enough of the tip of it to cover the sixth string (or fifth string if that's the sort of barre you're doing), then you often have better optimal coverage, especially on the three high strings. A lot of people start learning barres by jamming the index finger as far as it will go, often far past the other side of the neck, and this sometimes creates the sort of problem you're reporting.

As always, totally ignore this advice if it doesn't describe your particular scenario. :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Understand that without seeing you play, this is purely guesswork, but a typical beginner mistake is to use too much of the index finger to barre.

With my relatively short fingers, I don't know how much finger I can spare :D

But I'll try that as well.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

They can't be that much shorter than mine. My index finger isn't even three inches from webbing to tip.

Remember to give yourself the best posible posture, as well, especially if you're trying it while sitting. Keep the fretting hand about chest high. And Daven's tip about light pressure is spot on. Try not to think of your fingers as a vice when a paper clip will do! :wink:

Above all, keep at it. We've all been there.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

Has anyone else found barre chords easier if you take a more "classical" guitar position (means the neck sits up much higher when in a seated position and gives the arm more room to position easily)?

Is it possible to start in that more extreme position and slowly lower it with practice?

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@hornfinger)
Eminent Member

I find tucking my elbow close to my body helps with barre chords. It makes sense: bringing the elbow in means it's easier to apply appropriate pressure with the side of the index finger.

ReplyQuote
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member

They can't be that much shorter than mine. My index finger isn't even three inches from webbing to tip.

Is that really short? I've always thought I had long, skinny fingers, but my index finger runs barely 2.5 inches from webbing to tip. I really don't have much room to maneuver for a full barre.

For me, the G string is most often the weak/muted one. I notice it primarily when playing a C major or E minor shape.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That is short! Wow!

Most of the guitar players I know have longer fingers than I do, but it's more than obvious that even all the guitarists I know are a (very) small percentage of those that play guitar.

BK's post about the classical position is very good. Quite often if someone is having problems with barres, or most any basic fingering difficulties, changing over to the classical position can help. But some folks, especially those with "dreadnaught" style guitars, have a hard time getting comfortable in that position. If they can manage to make the fingering work even for a short period of time, though, that can be enough encouragement just knowing that it's possible to do.

And when the day comes that I've comfortable making the C major shape barre chord, then you all will hear a giant sigh of relief!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Mine is just shy of 3"... maybe there is hope after all. :)

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Practice, practice, practice. Your hand and wrist will get stronger and you will find what works for you. Make sure that your thumb is in the proper position on the neck to give you enough leverage to hold down all of the strings. Having said that, I have only 2.5 inches on my index finger and there are some barre chords that I simply can't do. I've been playing for over 40 years and if I can't do a chord after a few tries, I play only part of the chord or try it in another position. Physical attributes are obviously going to affect your playing. Also, having the right guitar helps a lot. Neck width and shape, scale length, electric vs. acoustic, setup, strings, and probably some other factors that I'm not thinking of all play a part. And I can play better sitting than standing. Standing and playing with a strap might look cooler, but it affects the position of your wrist.

Renee

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4