Notifications
Clear all

Barre Concern

50 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

This is why I'm not taking the easy route and playing the easy play open chord version. Take the hard road. The open chord version sounds good, but it doesn't have the melodic quality of the barre version. And I can't yet sing and play simultaneously.

Find Jamie Andreas' website and if you can buy the book The Deeper I Go The Deeper It Gets. I'm a fan. Jamie is big on philosophy about why guitar is hard, why some students succeed and some don't and such things. It's the quality of intention to learn added to attention to your learning plus some other things. It explains so much about so many things besides guitar.

Taking the hard road is worthwhile. Don't expect instant results but do know that results will come in time. A ship's captain knows that if he does the right things for the right amount of time eventually he'll get to his goal even though he can't see it when he starts out.

I can play Hotel California with all barres on a 6 string but.... it sounds a LOT better on a 12. But I can't hold up thru the entire song on a 12 . There's always just one more thing to learn/do.........

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I was doing the barres on the acoustic because it is harder, for me right now. If you can learn to do something hard, you can do anything. I tried barres on the 12 string. Ah Marrone! That was a little too tough right now, especially at the higher frets. I look up the website and the book. Thanks.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@jbiafra)

if you press too hard, you'll actually bend the notes. try using one finger and make sure all of the notes ring out, then use your other fretting fingers to form the chord after you've gotten the hang of the barre. also, make sure you're trying the Em, Am, and Amaj forms of the barre to make sure you're not having probs with those shapes as well. you may learn something in the process

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdwwOIFCfFM

At about 2:37 he mentions something about Steve Cropper using "chips" and playing barre chords. The barre chords I got, but what are "chips", if I heard right.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdwwOIFCfFM

At about 2:37 he mentions something about Steve Cropper using "chips" and playing barre chords. The barre chords I got, but what are "chips", if I heard right.

I heard it too. It sounded like the context was about strumming but.... I don't know what chips are either in this context. Somebody?

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4