Clear all

basic 4-track recorder without EQ

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I want to buy a basic 4-track tape recorder to record myself to see what I sound like and see if I can make up some songs or parts of songs. I want to get this one:

http://www.tascam.com/Products/Porta02mkII.html

But it doesn't have any equalization. I have a feeling I'll need EQ if some tracks turn out too trebly or not enough treble. But since my guitar playing isn't very good yet, I can't yet justify spending about twice as much on a unit with EQ. (I want tape, not digital). So do I really need EQ, or should it be 'good enough' for now?

(@Anonymous)

Did you ever think about recording it to yor computer? You can do the same basic stuff with a program called Audacity which is free (not sure how many tracks it can handle?)...

All you need is a way to get your computer into the computer and that's easy...either a sound card or something like Guitar Port...

Then you can edit your tracks right on the computer...if you have an acoustic then you would also need a soundhole pickup if its not an acoustic electric

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Patrick,

Having a recording device is a great idea. Not only can you use it to develop your own playing put you can record a teacher or better player on one track and then play along with them, solo over the top or whatever.

Why do you want tape in particular?

Perhaps tape model are cheaper and simpler to operate? Digital is also good for the purpose though as it's so quick and easy to find a position on a track, no tape to tear or stretch, etc. Also very easy to dump into the computer and fiddle with.

As Mike says, you can do it all on a computer too. When I was looking at what was on the market one of the options I thought about was to just use our laptop for the whole job, if I could find a reasonable mike to plug into it.

The "good enough for now?" question is pretty hard to answer. The same question comes up with every aspect of guitar equipment. I tend to buy stuff that isn't bottom of the range, so it's not too bad, and then promise myself a really good one if I can get good enough to justify owning an expensive version. :)

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

HI Patrick
I will second audacity. Audacity Program is free and works good, I think the limit is 16 tracks, not sure. You might need a mobil preamp to use a mic with the computer. I had to buy a mobil pre by M-Audio so I could use a mike with my laptop

John M

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

There's also this one http://www.tascam.com/Products/MF-PO1.html for $99 at MusiciansFriend.

If you do have a computer, Audacity, like the others have said, is a really good software. I've fooled around with it and it's pretty cool, but I still like tape myself.

Anyhow, if, like you say, you want to hear what you sound like, then tape's fine. Even the computer recording stuff (like Audacity) will give you an idea of what you sound like. But with either, there's still microphone type and placement and amp effect, distortion (too much, too little), etc that will color your sound. With either digital or analog, you'll hear yourself; it's just whatever's more convenient.

As far as adding or subtracting treble and whanot, that's already getting into mixing and production (in a way). By adding or taking away treble or bass, you're actually not 'hearing what you sound like' so much as getting into production - which is a good thing. Just refocus and redefine what you, personally, want to get out it.

As far as writing songs, tone and tone shaping and mixing don't have a great deal to do with that. It's nice to have it sounding good though, I know what you mean - but for strictly song writing, you could get away with that tape recorder or the computer thing - whichever is less of a hassle. But in song writing it's about the notes, the chords and words, melodies, the beat - and sometimes it needs to be really fast - instantaneus if possible, and I dunno, waiting for the PC to boot up, or if it's not dedicated to music making, having to switch plugs and whatnot, can take a few moments. Sometimes getting one of those little pocket recorders is also nice because you just want to 'sketch' something - then you can go and record it on your PC.

16 tracks though, on Audacity - that's more than enough to songwrite with, and hear how the parts you come up with fit together - but you can also do that with a little 4 track like you're thinking about. For pure song writing, the tape machines are pretty cost effective, but if you (and it seems like you are) thinking about 'tweaking' things and sound and adding effects and stuff, then maybe the Audacity/PC route will give more scalability.

Me, I record on tape and mix to digital.

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone. I want to work with tape only (no digital, no computer) because I don't like computers. Tape is less of a hassle to me...so much more intuitive and simple. I want to be able to record at a moments notice with minimal fiddling & having to figure stuff out.

That Porta 02 has a built-in mixer, but I'll need a seperate tape recorder to mixdown onto. I think I can live without EQ for now, considering its purpose. Then if/when I'm good enough that I want to produce demo-quality recordings,I'll buy a digital multitrack recorder and a drum machine (right now I use my metronome as my drums!). But that's still a long ways away.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Tape is less of a hassle to me...so much more intuitive and simple. I want to be able to record at a moments notice with minimal fiddling & having to figure stuff out.

You're right on the money there. :D

I looked at buying the same machine - the Porta 02, but in the end I got carried away and bought an 8 track digital with a built in drum machine and about ten trillion menu options. Far more grunt than I really need right now. :shock:

It drove me nuts for the first few days, trying to get the hang of it all. :evil:

I finally managed to work out (and actually REMEMBER from one week to the next) how to use it as a 'quick and dirty' recording machine - so we're good friends now. And I'm looking forward to using some of the effects and other features later on. But it was touch and go at the start. :roll:

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I finally managed to work out (and actually REMEMBER from one week to the next) how to use it as a 'quick and dirty' recording machine - so we're good friends now. And I'm looking forward to using some of the effects and other features later on. But it was touch and go at the start. :roll:

Chris, you trying to say it an age thing on all the extra functons ?? :shock: :D As a 50 yr old I can say this. When I was younger the more gizmo's the better. Now I do like the features, but I also want the quick and dirty easy way. :D

John M

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Age! :shock: No of course not.. I meant... umm what were we talking about again??

I do confess that I do seem to be getting more of those "senior's moments" when I find myself in the laundry thinking "what the hell did I come in here for???"

I'm not quite at the stage where I need to take a 12 year old with me to operate anything electronic though. It depends on how much I use a function. It's nice to have them all there, but there are times when I wish they were better arranged.

The recorder I've got has a bunch of pads, dials and buttons, plus a couple of different gizmos to operate the menu, and it's not always obvious when you need to swap to the other gizmo.... well, not at first anyway.

Even the 20yr old techie in the shop said he preferred the models that have a separate knob for everything but said that made them a lot pricier.

Now what was the question again?? :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Even the 20yr old techie in the shop said he preferred the models that have a separate knob for everything but said that made them a lot pricier.
Ha ha...I thought I was the only one that finds it easier when there's a seperate knob or button for everything. I find that when a complex electronic device (like most electronics nowadays) was suppoedly made 'simple' to use by having only a few buttons, it looks simpler and less cluttered, but since each button has many functions, you must scroll through to get to the function you want, this actually makes it more difficult to use.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Chris,
:D I agree on the buttons and sliders. I have an all in one that will interface with the PC & MAC. However, there is a glitch that keeps me from using the interface so I am using 5-6 levels of menu's to set and change functions. So you can tell I am using a lot of default settings right now. Going to borrow the wife's pc later and haul my gear in there to make a few changes to the parameters for me to play on later in the weekend.

John M

ReplyQuote