Skip to content
Basic things to do ...

Notifications
Clear all

Basic things to do that can benefit my musical knowledge?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@megalomaniac)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

okay so, i need some more things that well can benefit my learning and knowledge of music!
here's a basic example..
over the last year or two i've been contemplating me joining my school's jazz band, and at the beginning of this school year (five month's ago) i decided just to go for it to see what i can learn. moral of the story is that i wish i would have convinced myself to join it earlier and not question it so much. my jazz band at school has increased my use and what i know of triads and theory and my being scared or playing infront of someone (to some extent), over these past five month's i've learned so much from it i'm a fool to have not done something like that sooner in my books.

so going back to my original question, and it's a longshot, but how else could i improve myself? besides lessons, what other maybe group's or things could i gain something out of and jumpstart my learning?
i'm just looking for basic things here such as idea's and whatnot to what i could do. another example besides the jazz band for my school that i've learned lots from is the sunday writers group you've got here, it's helped me alot in term's of writing.
have you got any idea's of what else i could do, with maybe clubs, organizations, extra practicing, playing more with other musician's, just something i can that can help me! It doesnt have to be specifically towards guitar, ofcourse.

now besides the past paragraph i've written being somewhat repetitive, i hope i got my question across without making it too confusing!
thanks!

-jeremiah

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

As you've discovered with both the jazz band and the songwriter's group, the main thing is to just jump right in. What you jump into is not as important as the impulse to do it now instead of thinking about it too much - everything new will teach you something or other.

But, that's not what you asked, so here's a couple of suggestions off the top of my head, things that I do that I think improve me as a musician:

Get out and watch bands play, open mic nights especially as you get to see a lot of different people on one night. Watching the way someone else approaches different aspects is always an eye opener, especially when it's a song you know well. You'll also know a good few people when you get up there yourself ;)

Dissect your favourite songs. Get a pad and some paper, and write down the song structure as you listen. You'll be amazed how much formula you can derive from music that doesn't sound formulaic, and you'll then be able to hear what it is they've done to stop it sounding formulaic, whether it be variations, dynamics, changes of key, doubled vocals, extended pauses, etc.

Change the style of a song you know. Arrange a heavy rock song as a gentle acoustic balled and vice versa, etc., from start to finish. Keep adding things of your own to it until it works.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

This won't necessarily help you to learn music per se, but if you really want to develop your chops, get in a band. There is nothing that will actually teach you how to play better than actually playing songs in a band environment. Not saying that taking lessons and having a good practice routine will not teach you to play, but playing in a band teaches you to hear what you are playing over other instruments. You learn how to interact with other musicians, you even learn how to cover mistakes. You probably have already learned much of this from being in the jazz band. There's really nothing better IMHO. It forces you to learn complete songs as well, many people never learn to play complete songs playing alone or simply taking lessons. But in a band you have to know the whole song. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I second what Wes says. Join a band. I joined a band in september/october and i have developed so much since then. Not only does it help like Wes said, but it also gives you drive to play and practice, having deadlines, like having a section of a song perfect for the next practice, or being able to play through a whole song ready for you next gig, really increased my passion for guitar, joining a band, and gave me a lot more drive to learn!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote