Notifications
Clear all

Begineer - 1'st Electric Guitar Help!

20 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@filibuster)
Topic starter  

Hey guys, I'm new to guitars. I currently own an acoustic Guitar and I can play a little bit with it :o. I want to purchase an Electric Guitar for beginner but not one of those "Begineer Pakage" ones, I would like it to last for quite a few years. I'm looking to spend around 200-400 on the Guitar and 100-200 on the Amp.
I'm mostly interested in playing Rock/Punk/Post Hardcore type of music.

Currently here are the guitars I'm interested in.

Epiphone G-400 SG Electric Guitar - 399.99
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar 379.99-499.99
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341

Fender® Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar (2005) 369.99-404.99
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-2005?sku=510000

Epiphone G-310 SG Electric Guitar 199.99
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G310-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518280

Schecter Damien FR Electric Guitar 399.99
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Damien-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=513103

I'm open to any other kind of suggestions I'm really new to this so I don't know which to choose really.

And currently I have had no luck in choosing Amps =/

And one more question, is it okay to order the Guitar Online? or is it better to buy from a local dealershop?

Thanks!

(@alangreen)

The recommendation here is that it's better to buy from a shop, as you can try out the guitar before parting with any cash and it should be properly set up. You can't try guitars online and you have to do your own setup.

Any one of the makes and models you've mentioned should do nicely, although I've never tried a Schecter so can't speak for them (although there are members here who can)

Amps? 30 watts will cope with a small pub gig, bigger clubs and theatres benefit from 100 watts although I've seen bands play to 200 people with a 30W Marshall mic'd through the PA. Marshall make excellent kit, as do Vox, and Orange come well recommended. At the higher end, Mesa Boogie are fairly popular and priced to suit. Again, head for your local shop and try out a few. You can't go far wrong with a Fender Frontman either.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@joevan)
Eminent Member

Ordering online can often save money, but is full of pitfalls. Once you have chosen your guitar my advice, if you really want to order on-line would be:

First, surf the net to find out how much it will cost you to buy online, and don't forget to add postage and packing to your cost, this can often be another £20 or more on top.

Next, find a local shop that sells the guitar and ask what is the best price they can do. If they come close to the internet price then stick with the shop. If not, then you can still have a play, just to make sure you like it, it's comfortable to play and the neck is wide enough etc.

If you are still certain you want to order it from the internet (afterall you could walk back in the shop - buy it and take it home with you!) then I would suggest the following:

1. Find out what the return policy is, if the guitar is damaged in the post, or even not the same make/model that you ordered it is often you who will have to pay to get it back to the supplier.

2. Surf around to see if you can find any comments about the site you are buying from, good/bad experiences etc. Don't rely on testimonials posted on the site itself.

3. Don't automatically go for the cheapest site, look at some of the others to see what you are getting for that extra money. Sometimes it's nothing, but more reputable stores will perform a full set-up on the guitar before posting it.

4. Finally, if the store has a phone number, then call it - talk to someone about the guitar, test their knowledge/opinions etc. Try and get a feel if it's a place you want to buy from.

If at the end of all this you are still adamant you want to buy of the internet, then go ahead, cross your fingers and pray to the god of good luck! If all goes well a week or so later you should have a shiny new guitar to annoy your neighbours with :D

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

SG's and strats are very different guitars.
for the kind of music you want to play I would recomend getting the SG. mainly because they have humbuckers.
strats are single coil pickups and sound very different than humbucker pickups.
you may find you get more crunch from buckers.

playability. I find SG's necks harder to handle than a strat.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member

sorry i might being dumb but whats an SG?

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Sean

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

an SG is a Gibson double cutaway guitar. two to three humbuckers.
Angus of ACDC plays one.
also:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member

oh ok i get it now i knew i was being dumb!!
i thought it was a brand that i hadnt heard of for a minute :oops:

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Sean

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

The SG or the Schecter would probably be best for your type of music, you'll likely get more guitar for the money with the Schecter.
A Vox or Roland modelling amp would give you plenty of sonic options. Epiphone has some cheap tube amps out. I don't know what you are used to, but I find most cheap practice amps to be sadly lacking in comparison to even a half decent home stereo system.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I second Al's first suggestion, go to a Shop.

Ask questions and establish a relationship with one or more of your local shops, if you have more than one in your home town. But don't be afraid to look "Dumb".

I found that most people are more than happy to be of help and guide you through what the different guitars are and each characteristics between the "Strat" types and the "LP/SG" types. There are also BOLT on Necks--Set Necks not to mention the different BRIDGE configurations with each type/style of guitar.

One of the brands I highly recommend is SAMICK. The BANG for the BUCK is superb. They're quality instruments for not a lot of money. I've found and compared $500-$600 Schecters/Epiphones to be comparable to $250-$350 Samicks in terms of quality of build and the components (Pickups/Tuners etc) installed on them.

I'd also recommend to spend a bit more money on the amp and here's why. You can have the "Best" guitar in the world... if the Amp is crap guess what, the guitar will also sound like it...however, you can take a great amp and make a semi good guitar sound pretty good...... been my experience anyway. I'll often plug the cheapest guitar into the most expensive amp and it sounds sweet... :)

Even with a Lessor Guitar, you can have the shop SETUP your guitar just right so it plays real nice and feels just right for you and a good shop will be happy to do so, for they understand that this business is about relationships and they want you to come back to buy more from them, that's not a bad thing. I like the personal-ness of my local shops vs the big Guitar Center guys. It makes a difference in where I like to spend my money... at least to me it does.

A last thought on the guitar then I'll shut up.. sorry for being so wordy.

Don't rule out the Used Market.

There are some great instruments available at reduced prices... mainly people either give up on guitar and/or they've upgraded to better equipment. Most of the local shops, at least around here, will make sure there are no issues with the used stuff cuz they don't want you bringing it back with problems. I do caution however to stay away from Pawn Shops till you know what it is your looking for and at, cuz most Pawn Brokers don't give a crap bout the merchandise, you just have to be more careful in those situations.

Good luck, you'll find what your looking for :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member

ill go with that too...i have just been to a local store around the corner from where i work and they were really helpful...i told them that i was thinking of buying off the internet and told them the items i was looking at and they put a deal together for only £20 more and it has a better amp and ill be able to get it straight away and if i have any problems they are there alll the time. i have tried to make enquierys to online shops and although i know they are not all bad i have found them not too helpful i emailed one shop about a SG and asked them 5 or 6 questions they replied back and said its a good guitar with a thin neck nice to play and that was it......the guy in the shop has just spen 1/2 an hour with me showing me different options for my budget let me handle and listen to what i wanted....really good service, i would have bought it there and then but i would have got any work done all afternoon through excitement so i am going tomorrow to pick it up!!
cor sorry guys im waffling on a bit but i just wanted to say how i was all for the web as is is so cheap but have been turned around completely at least i know what im spending my hard earned cash on now!!

Sean

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I think this is the main difference between shop and online buying - when you're after something that's got to feel right (like a guitar) you want to go try some out. If you're after a new TV or dishwasher it doesn't matter where you get it from as they're all the same.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

filibuster,
you could also try rondo music, the Agiles are very well thought of and good prices too

ReplyQuote
(@filibuster)
Topic starter  

Thanks so much for all the help guys!

Although I would love to go to a local shop to buy my guitar, since I live in Toronto (Canada) I have limited local dealers. Most in which I have checked thier websites and they don't have any of the guitars I have listed above or any guitars some of you suggested. I'm afraid the local dealershop would only carry a few models of each brand and I believe they're overpriced :(. So far I've checked cosmos music store, (They don't even have price on thier items just says "Call in for price", God knows how much they might've overpriced those), axemusic, don't carry any Fender for some reason. And most of used guitar Retailrs I've checked have guitars priced at 600-3,000.

So I'm really confused and don't really have any idea what I'm going to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help guys!

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

buy from the net instead?

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Thanks so much for all the help guys!

Although I would love to go to a local shop to buy my guitar, since I live in Toronto (Canada) I have limited local dealers. Most in which I have checked thier websites and they don't have any of the guitars I have listed above or any guitars some of you suggested. I'm afraid the local dealershop would only carry a few models of each brand and I believe they're overpriced :(. So far I've checked cosmos music store, (They don't even have price on thier items just says "Call in for price", God knows how much they might've overpriced those), axemusic, don't carry any Fender for some reason. And most of used guitar Retailrs I've checked have guitars priced at 600-3,000.

So I'm really confused and don't really have any idea what I'm going to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help guys!

I'm not familar with Toronto stores, but theres a big music store in Square One mall in Mississauga. I don't remember the name but it's a big store, with a nice selection. Maybe that's an idea. I remember getting there from the airport in Toronto in like 45 minutes ona metro bus, so it's probably not to far. Took alot less time in a cab.

http://www.shopsquareone.com/stores.asp?store_name=Walter%E2%80%99s_Music_Centre&store=474

It's called Walter's Music Center. Perhaps your familar with it. It seemed to be a popular place.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2