Notifications
Clear all

Begineer - 1'st Electric Guitar Help!

20 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

You need to go downtown T.O., plenty of options, Long and McQuade at Bloor and Ossington (good service for a chain), Steves which I hate, but has good prices, 12th fret- but they're more high end. There are another couple of smaller stores as well.
In Port Credit there are two opposite one another on Lakeshore, the one on the south side has a good selection, but you'll need to bargain bit. As you're in Canada, check out Godins as well.

Ignore the online stuff within Canada, Canadian stores just haven't caught up, most of their inventory is not online.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

You need to go downtown T.O., plenty of options, Long and McQuade at Bloor and Ossington (good service for a chain), Steves which I hate, but has good prices, 12th fret- but they're more high end. There are another couple of smaller stores as well.
In Port Credit there are two opposite one another on Lakeshore, the one on the south side has a good selection, but you'll need to bargain bit. As you're in Canada, check out Godins as well.

Ignore the online stuff within Canada, Canadian stores just haven't caught up, most of their inventory is not online.

12th Fret, do they make guitars there by any chance? I think I remember there being one in St. John's that supposedly made custom jobs.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

They will do custom work, but I've no idea whether there's any connection with St. John's.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Lots of great information here. This what makes coming to guitarnoise with a question so great, its the positive knowledge you get in answers. Any of those guitars are fine. You might want to take into consideration what sound your looking for. Each one of those guitars you listed sound and play different. Some have single coil pickups and a solid body, then there's solid body and semi hollow with humbuckers. One had a floyd rose locking tremolo system and the strat wasen't locking.

There is difference between a locking and a non-locking tremolo when it comes to doing certain tricks with them. Along with the time it takes in tuning and setting them up. These are a few things to think about also. Which ever one you decide on have fun playing.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

since I live in Toronto (Canada) I have limited local dealers.
You're kidding, right?

Toronto is the biggest city in the country. If you can't find what you need there, you won't find it anywhere in Canada!

I live in Winnipeg, and I can find more instruments (both variety and quantity) than I could ever buy & play in a lifetime. Toronto should have about 20 times the choise that I have here.
Just don't expect much from Canadian on-line retailers. Go into the stores.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2