Beginner help

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone,
I've been playing about 9 or 10 months now, and I'm wondering when people began playing with other people. I really want to begin playing with others, like jamming and maybe even starting a band at some point, but I don't feel completely comfortable with it. I think I'm pretty good when I'm playing myself, and people have told me that my songs sound good and all, but they aren't guitar players so its hard to tell. Is there a general time when one begins to play with others.

I think part of it is just being nervous about playing with other people, especially since none of my friends are musicians, i.e. I'll be playing with people I don't know very well...

Is this all just rubbish??

(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

All you need is to say you are 30 - 40 years old or something to complete the uncomfortableness factor. If you ever want to play in a band you have to get out and play with other people, it doesn't matter how good you are on your own unless you plan to be just a guy and a guitar sittin on stage performing (and there are a few people who do well like that). Unfortunately I myself haven't played much with others, I'd like to play in a band at some point and heck, even get paid, but I am bein a wimp about it still. I am gettin to where I have people to play with on occassion, so far just often enough to remind me how awful I am at it, but soon... it'll come together.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

It's never too soon to begin playing with others. In fact, it's a good thing!! The sooner the better, IMHO! Any experienced player will understand exactly what you're going through as a beginner because they went through the exact same thing and most will be very helpful in providing technique tips. Go for it! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Hi Everyone,
I've been playing about 9 or 10 months now, and I'm wondering when people began playing with other people.
I'll let you know when it happens.
I think part of it is just being nervous about playing with other people, especially since none of my friends are musicians, i.e. I'll be playing with people I don't know very well...
Well, strangers give you a sort of anonymity. Maybe that can offset some nerves?

If you want to play with others, go for it.

The reason I haven't sought out anyone to play with in my 2 years of playing is that isn't one of my goals.
It is one of your goals, so get out there!

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

Playing with others is something you gotta do - I was lucky in that I had a half dozen friends who played guitar when I was growing up so it was somewhat easier. As mentioned in an earlier message it's a hard thing to do but one you'll find is well worth it. I went to a local bluegrass session recently first just to watch but within an hour went back to get my guitar and played for over two hours - it was a riot and I don't know very much bluegrass or old time country music; generally not what I listen to. To make the transition easier perhaps you could play along with some CD's or get some jam tracks to get you more used to playing with someone else's beat

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my friends and I all started playing around the same time.
we all sucked, but we spent hours hanging out in each others bedrooms with the record player.
when we weren't playing our three chords we listened to songs we wanted to learn.
then a friend got drums for his birthday. soon after we had a band.
it was hilarious, thinking back, we had guts and no skills.
the garage rocked. the girls danced. we were sixteen.
heaven on earth. (just like Joe's Garage).

so seek out others to play with. skill level does not matter at first.
let the music happen.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Go for it man. Drop by your local guitar shop and ask if there are any jam nights. I have only one friend that plays and its not often he and I can get together. We had such a good time last time we jammed and swore to one another that we'd make it a weekly thing. But, life happens. Kids have hockey games and dance practice. That said, I'm going to take my own advise and see if there is anyone in the same position I am in and go talk to the guys at the guitar center.

One thing you have to be aware of is the.."I wonder if the other guy/gal is going to be better than me" thoughts. Or the "I wonder what the other guy/gal thinks of me". That has crept into my thinking now and again. But, I've realised, I am not the greatest guitarist in the world. I don't care. I just want to have fun. I'm going to learn from anyone else I play with, so all the better for me.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the advice! I think I just need to get out there. Thanks for the moral support and all that. I put a listing on my college's version of craigslist and hopfully I'll get some people who want to play.

Good luck to everyone!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

A long time ago I felt the same way and didn't play with others for quite some time for that reason. When I did, you know what? Any guitarist that is comfortable with thier own playing will be delighted to help you learn and will be more than patient. You see, where you are now is the only path to being a confident accomplished player. Everyone is or was there sometime. My problem now is hoping people will be patient with me as I am almost 47 and have CRS. (Can't remember s@#t!) My learning curve for new material isn't what it once was. My son has varying degrees of patients with this. He doesn't understand how I can whip off a song I learned in 1978 that I havent played in years yet something I've been woriking on for a week and played last night gives me problems today. :lol: Untill he says ... "It goes like this!", then I'm fine again.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote