Clear all

Beginner here, just had my most fun on the guitar

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@joeyfivethumbs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am a total beginner. I have a cheap electric and not a whole lot of time, so I have just been working on scales, open chords, online lessons here and there. I am a big blues fan, btw. I was reading through this guys page on improvising, http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/WordPressBlog/?p=17 .

He said download a 5-minute recording of 12-bar blues, which he provided and play these notes:

* Vary your rhythm Sometimes play fast, sometimes let a note ring for a while.
* Vary your volume Let some notes whisper and other notes scream.

I did it and had a blast, could actually "feel" it. I know that have a long way to go, but it was a nice break from just practicing different scales. Made me actually feel like a guitar player for a little bit. So if you are a beginner like me and a blues fan, give it a shot. For me it was nice boost in the arm to show me why I should be practicing these scales until I can work them inside and out. Also, like I said, it was the most "fun" I have had on the guitar, a nice break from the work/frustration side of it.

(@blueline)
Noble Member

Great! Feels good, doesn't it!? You took the first step, keep experimenting over that blues progression. You can expand on it much more. Don't be afraid to explore. If something doesn't sound good, stay away from it. But you will find that alot more note can go with that progression. Have at it!!
Now you'll have to change your name to Joey 'Howlin" Thumbs! :P

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Congratulations, sure there is more fun to come.

Jack

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice post :D

And you did it with only four notes! Imagine what you can do it with four more! ;)
Keep playing and maintain the goal: maximize the fun!

Congrats!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good job. getting the feel of a twelve bar is good practice. some feel it is limiting and boring. not!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the link to the track!

By the way, those notes, you may know, are part of a pentatonic scale, so there's more you can throw in there.

:)

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

ReplyQuote
(@joeyfivethumbs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the link to the track!

By the way, those notes, you may know, are part of a pentatonic scale, so there's more you can throw in there.

:)

yup, been working in the rest of the scale, playing around. It is a nice break from the "usual" practice that seems like a grind sometimes.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

That's a good site! He has REALLY good tabs on there to! I can't remember his name???

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@twsteffen)
Eminent Member

Yah thanks for posting this, I just started working on my scales and this has made it much more fun. Does anyone know of any other 12 bar background tracks in other keys that could be used for other scales?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Cool! Brings back memories of my days when I was just starting out ............. :shock: Hey man! I just remembered something from the 70"s! :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote