Notifications
Clear all

Beginner/Intermediate stuck in a rut

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@aybee)
Topic starter  

Hi: I apologize if this question has been asked before on this forum.

I have been playing guitar on-again/off-again for the past few years. Been self-taught. Everytime I get to a certain level I get stuck in a rut and don't know how to proceed further. I have a lousy voice and am in my mid 30s and with the time commitments of family and work, don't have time to find people to jam with.

I have picked up the guitar again now after a gap of 4 years. Recently learnt Blackbird and Scarborough Fair from this website.

Would welcome any suggestions on how I could take this further as I really enjoy this instrument.

Thanks,
a.

(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Sounds like you need a reason to drive you to play.

I suggest you learn to sing and play at the same time and work on improving your voice. This will often give you alot of success in a short period of time (seeing as you're working from scratch, you can only improve your voice...). This will give you the ability to form songs as a whole. This would mean you could perform on your own at open mics or to friends and family or whatever.

I suggest the above as it overcomes having to find people to play with, however there's no replacement (for having as much time for fun and exploration) for jamming with other musicians. So try to find some or start a band or something.

It may also be something to look into a completely different style of music you never played before but perhaps admire.

Those should keep you going for quite a while if you even only try one!

Hope this helps,

:D

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@aybee)
Topic starter  

I've convinced my wife to sing while I play. We both have different musical tastes but lets see how it goes. Recently had a baby so I will definitely be learning a lot of nursery rhymes and the like :D

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

duets?

:D

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

Hey I can relate......I am basically self taught myself. When I get in a rut I move to something totally different - learn scales, some solos - work on technique. Sometimes I try to learn a song that is a little over my head.

THere are tons of great sites on the web that offer free and nominally prices lessons.

I use http://www.guitarschool.net and videoguitarlessons.tv

Just mix things up!

Good luck!

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@aybee)
Topic starter  

Thanks

ReplyQuote