Clear all

Beginner metal songs?

34 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Thanks for all the great ideas. To answer a few questions:

When I mentioned beginner, I wasn't very clear about what level of beginner I suppose. I've been playing for only a few months, but I can play things like Day Tripper, Message in a Bottle (slow - I'm trying to speed it up, but it's at 172!!), intro to Crazy Train - that sort of thing.

Also, when I mentioned "all the way through" I meant the whole song - intro, solo, outro, various bridges, and other musical terms I don't fully understand. Most songs have multiple guitars so there's multiple rhythm and lead to choos from. But, I want to try and get the whole process down from beginning to end. This should give me a solid goal to work toward and be challenging.

At this point I've settled on two to work on right now: Sweet Child o' Mine (GnR) and Back in Black (AC/DC). Now, before anyone starts a flame war, these are "metal" enough for me, and I'll back off "metal" and just point out that they are just the right genre for now.

For the future, some of the early Metallica songs will be interesting to approach, but I'll hold off for now on Master of Puppets. I'll probably need a teeny bit more practice/skill to get that one. Also, there are tons of AC/DC, Iron Maiden, and many others that I'll try. Here's a short list of some of those on my list to try eventually. Note the absolute lack of a consistent genre.

Rock and Roll (Led Zeppelin)
Revelations (Iron Maiden)
The Black Widow (Link Wray - if I can ever find any sheet music for it)
Stray Cat Strut (Stray Cats - they're metal, right??)
Love Me Two Times (The Doors)

hi mate

sweet child is an excellent choiche since you could play it at different levels: i.e. I easily learnt a couple of years ago the verse and chorus but i never tried the intro, also you could paly it fingerstyle and try some variation...good choiche

regarding revelations, i tried to learn it from a tablature but i did not complete it. Well it has a lot of different parts, not extremly difficult but you have to deal very well with power chords and arpeggios before tackling it , Sweet child is a lot easier (except for the intro)

cheers

Matteo

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@kirkd)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey, thanks for the encouragement! I agree, Sweet Child is going to be a good one to work on at my current level. Revelations has so many different styles within it, it become more of a long term project. Awesome tune, though. 8^)

If you have any other suggestions, keep them coming!

-Kirk

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi kirk

if you can deal with sixteen notes rhyhtms and open chords you could also try some metal ballads like the following (all available in the Easy song forum)

Every rose has its thorn (Poison)
I remember you (Skid Row)
Wanted dead or alive (Bon jovi), of course skipping the intro

At the beginning choose a simple semi-quaver rhythm you can deal with and happily strum without bothering to pick single notes and arpeggios like in the original recording. If you're able to sing alongside it no one except for a guitarist will ever notice the difference!!

If you can play power chords with a basic quaver dowstrum rhyhtm, you could try 18 and life (Skid Row). At the beginning you can strumm everything instead of playing arpeggios (quite tricky because you have to deal with barre chords in the intro)

cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@kirkd)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

All good suggestions - thank you!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3