Clear all

beginner to actualy player

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

how do you know when your no longer a beginner...whaqt criterea would you guys say changes your status ;]

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'll let you know when I get there. :P

My measurement is being able to sing and play a couple dozen songs without needing to look at chord sheets and with minimal mistakes, including chord switching/timing. However, then I'll still be a beginner at lead and finger-picking. Hmmmmm, maybe my first comment wasn't so far off. :|

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

how do you know when your no longer a beginner...whaqt criterea would you guys say changes your status ;]

Death.

Or someone shoving a huge amount* of money my way to play guitar :-)

* Huge= enough to support my lifestyle for the rest of my life in one lump sum

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

I don't think I can put it into a basic statement, but when it happens, we know. I think a beginner is new to all the aspects of the guitar and guitar playing. That passes with time, the more we practice and get comfortable with it. I think I'll always be 'learning' no matter how long I play. Different types of music as well as new styles of playing make for enjoyable learning and the satisfaction of doing something new. At least that's how it works for me. Enjoy!

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

40 plus years of playing guitar. a day does not go by where I feel a need to improve. every day I learn something new.
every day my guitar brings out my best and my worst. so I like to think that I am always beginning.
yeah, death will be my coda.

as for confidence or comfort level. it's all in the head. at sixteen years old I gigged. I probably sucked but I had a ball and my classmates were up and dancing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

well i am definately a beginner, but recently, as our band are getting better (the rest of the guys in the band are definately NOT beginners), i have been given lots of compliments on my playing.. it got me thinking that people who cannot play do get impressed by the simplest things, as i used to. i know i am still a beginner, so i cant really answer your question, but i hope that one day, i can play the things that impress me now, like clean, melodic playing with vibrato and great bending etc, then i will know i am no longer a beginner.

or i could just buy guitar hero on the playstation and become an instant legend :lol:

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote