Clear all

beginners book

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@allan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Can anyone recommend a really good beginners song book or chord book,Maybe they even combine them im not sure.

Something that also has something in it about reading tablitaure.

Thanks

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Allan,

Review the "Beginner's Q&A Forum" because there are many references to beginners books.

Also you can read the web side (not this forum side), there are a lot of good articles for beginners on tips, chords, and over 30 songs, some of them very easy.

ReplyQuote
(@bruce-spencer)

The lessons on guitarnoise.com are great and I highly reccomend them. I also like the Hal Leonard EZ play songbooks, popular songs laid out straightforward, in standard open positon chords. Also the Ulitimate Guitar, Greatest Guitar.... etc. series by Hal Leonard is a good resource for a beginner.

ReplyQuote
(@razzlemacher)

Yep there are various posts addressing the same question you asked.

However here is a list of books that I purchased:

# 1 Music Theory for Guitarists by Tom Serb
# 2 A Modern Method for Guitar - Volumes 1, 2, 3 Complete by William Leavitt
# 3 Fretboard Logic SE: The Reasoning Behind the Guitar's Unique Tuning + Chords Scales and Arpeggios Complete
# 4 The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory, 2nd Edition (The Complete Idiot's Guide) by Michael Miller

I hear Guitar Method books by Mel Bay are also pretty good.

The list of books above are more for understanding the guitar rather than playing the guitar. If you want direct instructions on playing it (i.e. not theory) then check out the articles on this website. The Beginners songs and the Intermediate songs are excellent resources - infact these are some of the best resources out there. You'll be hard pressed to find anything in the form of a book that could rival the articles/songs on the beginner's and intermediate sections.

Another good website (for theory only) is http://www.zentao.com/guitar/

Good luck.

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself - George Bernard Shaw

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Another good website (for theory only) is http://www.zentao.com/guitar/

Razzlemacher: I agree, a very good website!!!

Thanks for the link! :D

EDIT: By the way, Welcome to GN!

ReplyQuote
(@razzlemacher)

Nuno - GN is pretty cool. I just got back into playing guitar after a hiatus of 8 years.
Thanks for the welcome!
:)

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself - George Bernard Shaw

ReplyQuote