Notifications
Clear all

beginners motivaton

33 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I don't know how motivational this will be for anyone else, but hey, you asked. :D

When I was in college (over 25 years ago), I fell in love with the most amazing woman I'd ever met (then or now). She played guitar and that's what drew me to her. It really was a storybook romance. We wrote several songs together, she wrote the music and I the lyrics. She was just starting to teach me to play when she died suddenly. Long story short - I put the guitar down. I always intended to pick it up again, but I allowed life to take away the time I had for it.

I regretted not keeping up with the guitar all these years. But it wasn't until I watched my 2 year old grandson completely mesmerized by a guitar player that I finally picked it back up. I wanted to share that with him.

And now, he's 8 and we're taking lessons together. I can't wait till he gets to where we can jam together. I'm glad he pushed me into this, but I am sorry I missed all those years of playing.

PappaJohn - nice story! Every once in awhile I go up Philly way when Andre Gardner has a "Breakfast with the Beatles" live Broadcast. Maybe I'll see you there sometime!

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

jadiny,

Don't be discouraged at all. It took me probably 1 1/2 yrs before I learned my first whole song and judging rom other people that's not that bad. Sure there may be people who can play a song after a couple weeks but so what it's not a race.

If you stick with it and really practice you will improve, no matter how many times you feel like your getting no where or you can't play a song trust me it will happen, and it'll just happen one day and it'll feel great.

I've been playing for about three years now and yes I can play 20-30 songs which at one point I thought would be enough but once you reach one goal you will want to go further and further with it.

And I'm an old man so if I can do it I'm SURE you can too!!

Stick with it you'll regret it if you quit.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

PappaJohn - nice story! Every once in awhile I go up Philly way when Andre Gardner has a "Breakfast with the Beatles" live Broadcast. Maybe I'll see you there sometime!

Bob Jessie
Thanks, Bob.

I'm only about 25 miles outside of the city, so you never know. :D

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Just as a reference point from one new kid to another, I started taking guitar seriously last year. (I had some lessons before that, but I had some gripes with my guitar) It's funny, I started last year with learning an easy version of "Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream, and now I'm learning another great Cream song, "Crossroads".

If you've got the interest, you'll get better at it because you'll keep playing. And if you can scrape about $200 together, there are some good starter sets for people who want to get going with electric guitars and amps.

Stick with it, it gets easier, and if you can find a friend who plays guitar or, if you go to shows, find a band around your age and see if there's anybody that'll teach you pro bono if you can't afford formal lessons.

Best of luck!

-Brian

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Pappajohn & PEI.
Those are both great stories and motivation. I go my daughter 9 in a few day a guitar and have only reciently picked up the guitar again 6 weeks ago. Now I have even more motavation to learn more and do more. I am going to put us both down for lessons when they have a slot open. Look forward to playing with her.
jade, good luck and keep on plucking along. It comes with time, I have a few songs down now, but I have played in the past. Now I am trying to learn a few really well and not a lot so so.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@da-monkee)

I've been playing guitar for a few months now, but have not yet done a complete full song myself. Sometimes I lack motivation myself to play and think that it's too hard. My reccomendation would be perhaps to take up lessons? I have lessons and that ends up being my motivation; trying my best to make sure I improve from the last lesson.

If tab seems too hard or difficult (I can't understand any of it to be honest lol) then perhaps look at getting a chord song book. These books can be very very useful, they are full of songs which are easy to understand. There's books with songs in them from the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's and also acoustic as well (have a look on Play.com they have lots of them).

Finally, for extra 'motivation' look to who your favourite artists or bands are. If one of them plays guitar then use that as possible motivation. I tend to do that myself, I listen to songs with my favourite guitarists on them (the likes of Eric Clapton, Dave Navarro, Slash, etc) for that little bit extra piece of motivation. Hoping to one day be as good as they are :)

ReplyQuote
(@jetsolo)
Estimable Member

Just keep at it. It really does get better as you move along.

Guitar always seemed hard to play. I started playing classical guitar and my sisters would always make fun of how I played. Sure they would laugh at me and make me feel bad - but this seemed to help me.

With a passion, I started to play guitar. I really did like playing it for hours on end. I learned the plucking technique (fast speed, all fingers) in less than 4 months. All the major, minor, 7th chords in the first year along with rythm and basic note reading.

So what's my point?

Don't let anything get you down. You will get better.

Here is some things you can try....

Plucking technique has really helped me keep guitar active. It does get a bit boring when you start to strum and strum and strum. So learn plucking if you can and learn some classical songs or just make your own tune with basic chords. Really Fun!

Try C - Am - Dm - G7 chord progression with down up down down strum on each. Sounds really nice.

Jet.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Jet, that is intresting as I was playing around with the Am - Dm - C - Em pattern last night just for grins. I will try the G7 in there tonight. Tonight I need to do some sight reading, scales and cords.
Thanks.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I'm new to the guitar have been working my way through the Beginner's Q&A Forum when I found this thread.

It's been really inspirational and I've bookmarked it so I can come back to it when I need it.

Thanks. :D

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

long time i posted.Playing guitar is not easy and will take time.Don't expect miracles to happen

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

If you are more interested in playing Electric, save up some money and buy an electric. It's hard to have the motivation to play when it's not what you really want to play.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Here's my story:

I started playing when I was 7 or 8, don't recall exactly, with a good local teacher who made very sure that I got a good grounding in all the basics and really did have the skills to do whatever I wanted.

When I was 10 I played on stage for the first time. When I was 12 I was on stage by myself for the first time. By the time I was 15 I was playing regularly in local recording studios.

When I was 16 I was playing basketball at a friends house and slipped going for a long rebound, as I tried to regain my balance I found myself too close to a plate-glass window and fell through it. The accident ripped all of the soft tissues off of my left arm from my lower hand to my elbow.

The ambulance was called and they got me to the hospital before I bled to death, and the doctors got me into surgery to try and put my arm back together. The first surgery lasted for 6 hours. I had 2 more to follow. I was told in no uncertain terms I'd never use my left arm again.

But slowly, feeling and movement came back. They then told me I'd never use my fingers again, but they too returned.

Still, the years had gone by and I simply couldn't do the things I used to do on a guitar. I spent my time listening to other guitarists, music was still my first love, but it was clear I wouldn't ever be the musician I had been.

Some time in my early 30's I decided I'd had enough. I didn't care if I could play like I used to, I cared that I would play at all. So I picked up a guitar, got a teacher, and started re-learning the instrument I loved.

I'm approaching 40 now. I have a few of my own students. I still haven't been back on stage, but that's because of my own fears not because I don't have the skill to do it. One of these days I'll kick my own butt enough to get back on that horse as well. I play every day, sometimes for hours at a time, and I love every second of it.

I figured out that I didn't have to be great to still enjoy and love music. It's the music that matters, not my own skill level.

I still can't use my left pinky correctly, and my technique to do things like hammer-ons with that finger leaves a lot to be desired . . . and doing bends cause me physical pain. But a few days ago I was playing a Wes Montgommery song, and my wife thought I was listening to a recording. When she said "turn that up, I love that CD" I had to stop playing, I just couldn't catch my breath.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Cool Dude! That has to feel real good, congrats!

John M

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member

Hey Jade,

Not sure where you were going with the black thing - you're probably joking - but anyhow, Ya heard of B.B. King? Robert Johnson? The pioneers of the Mississipi Delta Blues style that has now evolved to modern Rock & Roll?

I don't care what type of instrument it is - music is indeed color blind - its in the soul of everyone and it doesn't matter what instrument you choose to make it. If your family and friends are more into hip-hop or R&B as you seem to suggest, there are always guys like Wyclef Jean, The Roots, Lauryn Hill, Bryan Mcknight, Babyface and on and on and on. All these guys play the guitar and have some songs you can learn and get your peeps attention.

Listen to some Wyclef CDs, you can play some of his songs from start to finish on an acoustic, or Lauryn Hill's MTV unplugged CD - pretty basic strumming you can learn. Babyface writes quite a few of his songs on the guitar. Or what about India Arie? You into that kinda stuff? Well there ya go - she's all about her acoustic.

Just thought I'd throw that out there if thats what you meant. Oh, and here's my story -

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14627

Not quite the same as yours, but the guitar and playing music in general were totally foreign to me until I picked it up. don't be afraid to break out of the box and do something different. Keep at it cos I think one of the biggest motivations will be when you start to make some sounds that can actually pass as music :lol: .

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

funny you should mention robert johnson ,eric clapton was doing a tribute.
again the black thing was a refeence to the fact they love rnb and hiphop. lauren hill il check that out india aries alright.
thanks anyway :)

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3