Clear all

Beginners Songs

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cjdave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I am a beginner at learning the guitar. I can't afford lessons so I have been learning through books. I have learned the chords of A, D, D7, E, G, & G7. Are there any other beginner chords that I can learn to play to help me with actually playing songs. I am getting bored just repititiously playing chords and I would love to play songs but I don't know where to look for beginner songs in the chords that I know. I am looking for music for Gospel and Folk songs. Can any one help me with these?
Also, any suggestions on how to strum and change chords at the same time with smoother rhythm? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
cjdave

(@steves6)
Trusted Member

Ya might try a look at the Easy song form.

ReplyQuote
(@cjdave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Where can I find that at? Sorry, but don't mean to sound dumb. :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@steves6)
Trusted Member

At the bottom of this page, Where it says 'jump to' Try that...

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

You might also try looking at books of songs, particularly any book that groups either a style or a genre you like or a particular artist. If you're looking at folk or gospel, for example, you might try this one, a book of Woody Guthrie songs:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Woody-Guthrie-Songbook/3374293

Books like this usually have the melody (in notation) and words written out and the chords printed at the appropriate place.

You can also find tons of songs online written in the same lyrics and chords manner, just without the melody lines written out, by googling any song title and chords ("Scarborough Fair chords" for example).

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Hi, I am a beginner at learning the guitar. I can't afford lessons so I have been learning through books. I have learned the chords of A, D, D7, E, G, & G7. Are there any other beginner chords that I can learn to play to help me with actually playing songs. I am getting bored just repititiously playing chords and I would love to play songs but I don't know where to look for beginner songs in the chords that I know. I am looking for music for Gospel and Folk songs. Can any one help me with these?
Also, any suggestions on how to strum and change chords at the same time with smoother rhythm? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
cjdave
I would also learn some minor chords as well such as Em , Am , Dm . Additional major chords to learn would be C , F , along with E7 and B7 chords . B7 and F chords are typically beginners' least favorite to learn . The answer to changing chords faster is to practice , practice , practice ! Remember - Rome wasn't built in a day !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@cjdave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the great replies. Thanks Dave

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Dave,

The A, D and E that you now know are great starter chords for two reasons:

• a) Your index finger can stay on the D string for all three chords and act as an "anchor" to help you keep your orientation as you change between them. It slides along one fret for the E, but still stays on the D string.

b) A, D and E major chords are the I, IV and V (one , four and five) chords in the key of A major. This probably won't make a lot of sense to you yet, but those three chords (I, IV, V) are the most important in any key and are the backbone of thousands of songs. That means that you could play a great many songs, even if they were originally in another key. E.g if the song used C, F and G (the I, IV and V in the key of C) you could swap them for your A, D and E and it would still sound OK if you're playing alone.

• Or, if you put a capo on different frets, you could play the same chord shapes and they would change the key of the songs For instance, a capo on the third fret would, change the sound of your A, D and E chord shapes and they'd actually become a C, F and G.

For example, here's a simple arrangement of a song that appears in a number of different keys and versions. This one works just fine and it should fit with what you're looking for. Have some fun experimenting with it a bit too - i.e rock the beat up a bit or try E7 instead of E.

(A) Amazing Grace how (D) sweet the (A) sound

That (A) saved a wretch like (E) me

I (A) once was lost but (D) now am (A) found

was blind but (E) now I (A) see.

Check out early Dylan songs like Blowing in the Wind too (C, F and G) because you could play a version of them with your A, D and E shapes instead.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
    (@s1120)
    Prominent Member

I would look into switching that around. Insted of looking for a easy song in the chords you know...find a easy song you like, and if it has a extra chord you dont know... just learn that. Odds are any easy songs you will know most or all of the chords, and if you know two of a three chord song... well it gives you a excuse to learn another one. :)

[just as a sidebar.. I would be looking to learn C also with the grouping you allready have. ]

Paul B

ReplyQuote