Beginning again....

24 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
 Dgar
(@dgar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I feel like today is the second beginning for me.

I introduced myself earlier today in the meet and greet area, but here's a quick history.

I've been playing 3-4 years (i'm 42, old I know!), I took lessons for about a year and then life just seemed to get in the way,not enough time or $$$, so the lessons stopped.

Although I stopped taking lessons for a couple years, I've played just about everyday, I drag my guitar around anywhere I go that I think I can play, I'm still a hacker although some of my friends think I can actually play, I've got em fooled :lol:

The reason today seems like a new beginning is I ordered a new guitar, a Epiphone Masterbuilt, a new guitar is allways cool and I'm looking forward to it, but the real reason for HOPE is I signed up for lessons again. When I took lessons before I remember thinking this guy is just to slow teaching me how to play. But now after a little time away from the teacher I realize how much he taught me. The lessons forced me out of my comfort zone, made me try new things, so I'm really excited about some one on one time again with an instructor. I'll can only take lessons twice a month right now.....my children keep me SOOOOO Busy, but I'm really looking forward to the new guitar, lessons, and practicing with a purpose as opposed to picking my guitar and noodling around with the same songs, chords, etc....

I'll give you guys an update after my first lesson this friday, lets just hope he dosent ask if I've ever considered a different instrument :D

David

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I agree David, you are so old! :lol:

I also took lessons some years ago but my experience with the teacher was not good. I know it is a very specific case. Probably I'll take lessons again if needed. Currently I follow a couple of instruction books and also play several songs just for fun. If I have a question or doubt, I post it here. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

42 isn't old to plenty of us here, and its never to old to learn.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey David,
Welcome to GN. Good for you for getting back into the Chair with someone else. Its always a good thing. I took about a year or so off without a teacher and when I found my current one I was so happy after the first lesson.

a) I, like you, realized how far I had come from knowing just EADGBE hehehe.

b) It gave me more spark.....again. I just keep telling myself, its not the about getting to 'greatness' (define that your own way). Its the journey that counts, the journey of discovery, learning, listening and trying new things.

Congrats on your new MBuilt. I've been waiting to see one at my local shop for months now.

D-

BTW: I too am in the 40-something crowd now :roll: :roll:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'll be 47 this fall young feller ......... you just holler if I can be of assistance. I've been playing since 1976 but it's never too late to start. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN. Nice to have someone around that's my age. I've been down that road of starting, probably around 3-1/2 years ago. Life gets busy and I end up taking prolonged breaks, but I come back to it each year.

Enjoy!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Welcome to GN. I have a Masterbilt DR500M. I can't say enough about it. I've had it for about a year and a half and I still can't put it down.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I've been playing 3-4 years (i'm 42, old I know!)

Same as me, except I've only been playing for a year and a half.
Never too old to start.

Even though they'll never admit it, seeing you going to lessons, and practicing, and sticking with it can be a pretty good inspiration for your kids.

My 6 year old loves it when I strum chords along with his piano practice. It helps keep him motivated, which in turn keeps me motivated...

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good for you. a new guitar is inspiring. it is good to keep working the brain. the alternative is being old and grouchy and senile.

brain without guitar :cry:

brain with guitar :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

good for you. a new guitar is inspiring. it is good to keep working the brain. the alternative is being old and grouchy and senile.

brain without guitar :cry:

brain with guitar :D

Hey, that's me. :oops: :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Glad to hear you didn't give it up! Keep on pickin'! :)

ReplyQuote
 Dgar
(@dgar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

As Prosmised a post Lesson update.

Well the first lesson consisted of finger exercises up and down the neck.... well i guess that isnt too bad, I've been lazy.. neglecting(insert not fun) practing finger exercises, and using a pick. I usauly fingerpick and strum using fingers and nails. But hey he's the teacher, so finger exercises and cross picking will be an everyday thing now.

David

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Good thing, some excercises aren't too exciting but if you stick with them for a bit it'll open the door to all the fun stuff. By the way, the one thing everyone who introduces themselves here, whether 14 or 65 years old, all have in common is the belief they are too old. It's never really an argument: you're going to get older no matter what, the only choice you have is whether you can play guitar five years from now or not. Easy choice. :D

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I agree with Mr. Hillstrøm. It could be boring but pratice those exercises. They will help you to control the finger positions over the fret and the strength applied by the pick.

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@tonycrf)
Eminent Member

Good thing, some excercises aren't too exciting but if you stick with them for a bit it'll open the door to all the fun stuff. By the way, the one thing everyone who introduces themselves here, whether 14 or 65 years old, all have in common is the belief they are too old. It's never really an argument: you're going to get older no matter what, the only choice you have is whether you can play guitar five years from now or not. Easy choice. :D

That's a good point! At 41, I ask myself that question every day!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2