e|---------------------------|
B|---------------------------|
G|--8b9-9-9-9-99999b8--------|
D|---------------------------|
A|---------------------------|
E|---------------------------|

What is the 9b8 meaning ?

(@alangreen)

Welcome to Guitarnoise; we think you'll like it here.

The answer is in fact very simple. You start by fretting the string at the 8th fret, bend it so that when you play it you get the sound of the 9th fret E, play it, then release the bend so that the string becomes straight and you get the normal sound of the 8th fret Eb.

Looking at that sequence of notes, though, it make sense to keep the string bent all the way from the 8b9 up to that last "9", playing the bent string, and then release the bend as above.

In some places you'll see it described as a "bend down" others call it a pre-bend.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@streetwalkernima)
Topic starter  

So many thanks bro

ReplyQuote
(@streetwalkernima)
Topic starter  

and two more questions
in this solo :

e|-----------------------------15------------------------------------|
B|--15b16-1616b15-13-----15b16----16b15-13---------------------------|
G|-------------------14--------------------14-14--12-----------------|
D|----------------------------------------------------14--12--10--12~|
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

most times tabs like this 15b16 appears and my question : in this case i must just to bend the string up without any release or first bend it up and later release it ?

second question : 16b15 i don't know exactly what to do with this

ReplyQuote
(@jagolsch)

I believe that your tab is saying to bend the 15 up a semitone to match the pitch of a 16 (15b16), pluck the string again while it's still bent to that pitch (16), then pluck it again and release to the pitch of 15 again (16b15).

With the way this tabber is writing it, I believe you wouldn't release any of these bends to 16 until you reach the 16b15.

This is why I'm a much bigger fan of Guitar Pro and Power Tab than standard tabs--they make it way easier to figure out what the tabs mean. In this case, you would see exactly how long you're supposed to hold each bend and when to release it, because specific bend, hold and release notations would be in place for every note.

Pinnacle Guitar: Guitar lessons for beginners and gear and software reviews.

ReplyQuote