Notifications
Clear all

bending on a squier goes out of tune

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@octopi)
Topic starter  

I have a Squier Stratocaster, standard series, made in Indonesia. I have been playing for a little more than half a year and I'm noticing problems when I'm bending my G and B strings. When I bend either of those strings, they fall out of tune relatively quickly. I could be doing something as simple as bending a C to a D on the G string, and it goes out of tune. Sometimes the rest of the strings go out of tune too. Would this be a problem with the Squier's bridge? Or perhaps my technique is wrong. If its the bridge, is there any way to correct it? I'm thinking of buying a Fender HSS within the next say 5 months and wondering if they have the same problem.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A very frequent problem that could have caused this is not the bridge but the nut. On these entry-level guitars the nuts are often made of cheap plastic, and the steel string can somewhat damage them. try removing the strings, and use some soap or crunched pencil-stuff on the nuts where the strings go. Then bring back the strings, and make sure you put them on properly. If you don't have the strings properly put on the guitar, tuning problems will occur as well. I'm sure that if you try these two things (make the nut smoother and the strings applied properly) your tunings issues should be a lot less worse.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Good advice from Arjen.

I have a Squier Standard Tele, it stays in tune very well and I am a big bender.

I would bet the problem is you do not have enough wraps around the tuning pegs. When you put on new strings it is a good idea to give the string at least one inch slack so that you get at least 3-4 wraps before the string becomes taut (maybe 2-3 on the 5th and 6th strings).

What gauge strings are you using? If your strings gauge is too heavy they will have trouble returning to tune through the nut. I tried strings 11-49 on my Tele and they were a little too heavy (did not want to return). I use 10-46 gauge now and they seem to work well.

If you have a floating bridge on your Strat that can cause the guitar to go out of tune easily. I have gone so far as to increasing the tension on the springs underneath that the rear of the bridge touches the body of the guitar. Even the very best floating bridges tend to go out of tune.

I'm betting the number of string wraps is the problem.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@octopi)
Topic starter  

Now that you mention it, I think that restringing is the problem. I just restringed again a few weeks ago and the strings barely wrap once around the tuners. I'll take that into consideration the next time I have to restring. I'm using Fender Super Bullets, .009-.042. I'm not sure about the bridge though. Would a regular Fender Standard guitar have this same problem?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It depends on which tuners are on the guitar. I also own a Fender American Stratocaster. The tuners are a better quality than my Squier but they will also slip if you do not have several wraps.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yup. A normal USA strat won't detune with bending, although you can detune it when doing divebombs. The vibrato bridge is different though, and the detuning is far less dramatic. The deluxe strats have locking tuners, IIRC, and they barely detune.

ReplyQuote