Bending Question

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello guys and gals,

I was looking at some sheet music where it called for a bend-release-bend on the 19th fret. My question is do we pick the string-bend it-bring it back and than pick it again-bend it-bring it back? Also it says to do a full bend...is there any way to tell if I'm bending far enough?

Thanks,

Lunarist

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Probably pick the string while bending, release and bend again....it might help if you listened to the actual track....

As for if you're bending far enough, fret the same string at the 21st fret - that's a full tone higher, and is what the 19th fret should sound like when fully bent.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

It depends on the sheet music. Most likely you will pick before the 1st bend only, but it could call for you to pick before each bend. For the most part, it doesn't really matter - either way is "correct."

Yes, you can figure out if you are bending the note correctly, unless the string you are working on is the high E. Since I don't know what string you are working on, I will assume it is the 3rd string or G string. The 19th fret on the G string happens to be a D note. If you bend it up a full step (two frets), you will be trying to sound an E note with the bend. That note is the identical note as the 2nd string (B string) at the 17th fret. So, when you do the bend, check to see that the bended note sounds the same as the 2nd string, 17th fret. Obviously, you will need to adjust my example for the actual notes you are playing. If you are working on the 1st string, you can't do this, because there is no other note to match it to. However, if it is the 1st string, you can use a tuner to check if you are bending to the correct note.

Good luck

ReplyQuote
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Vic...Colorado

So it's not bend than pick that would be a pre-bend..correct? So pick and bend at the same time...bring it back than bend again. I'll have to try it out. It's the solo to Knockin' by Slash. I can play about 70% of it decently. The string is the G string at the 19th and than it's the same thing with the D string at the 19th but this time it's only a half of bend.

Lunarist

ReplyQuote