Clear all

Best Way to Change From G to C/G

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm working on a song right now, "Visions of Johanna", which has a quick switch to C/G to accentuate the plain G chord. I'm playing the G with fingers 2,3,and 4. To change to C/G I need to bring my pinky all the way to the top of the fretboard and bring it all the back to get back to a G. Is there a quicker way to play this? I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, it sounds like such an effortless change. Thanks guys.

(@mahal)
Estimable Member

There are different ways to play C/G. The easy change is to basically hold the G shape on the E strings, place your first two fingers like you would the C chord and instead of the second string holding C you mute it. To go back to G just release the first finger and move the second finger to the second fret, second string or just continue to mute that string.

ReplyQuote
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm still kind of new to this so it helps if I rationalize what I'm doing. A C chord has the notes CEG in it, right? And that's why it doesn't matter if I remove my finger on string 1, because its a G note which is part of a C chord? Thanks for responding so quickly, I really appreciate it.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The best way to make that change is this:

G C/G
e---3p------3p---
b---0-------1i---
g---0-------0----
d---0-------2m---
a---2m------X----
e---3r------3r---

i= index finger
m= middle finger
r= ring finger
p= pinky finger

For this change your ring and pinky fingers will not move. You simply lift your middle finger off the B note on the A string and place it on the E note on the D string. You also fret the C note on the B string with your index finger. When you play the C/G chord, allow your ring finger on the E string to touch the A string slightly muting it. With a little practice you will find it very easy to change back and forth between these two chords. This change is used in many songs.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@whytenoiz)

Sweet tip. Very helpful while working thru ZZ Top's Jesus Just Left Chicago.

ReplyQuote