Clear all

Between A Rock And Hard Place

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@hiram)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

My class teacher (local tech college) seems to be adamant that I learn tabs, I have all my basic chords down and use them to learn songs I'm familiar with (Haggard, Eagles, Brooks & Dunn) granted I have to learn a new chord or two every song. I cannot read music, most everyone in my class can. I can tab well enough to pick up the melody but for use of a better term it seems it doesn't have any soul to it.
Am I backwards on this, granted my strumming is the greatest but it's coming along. Is there a Book for Dummies on reading musical notation, I would need a comprehensive study probably. Granted the instructor is not remiss on going through this but if you've been out of HS choir for 45 yrs you don't pick it up in an hour segment. OK tell me if I'm screwed up on this or not, you can lay it on I've got an old thickened skin.

(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Have you checked out the articles for beginners here? David seems to have a pretty clear way of laying it out and connecting the dots, esp. the "Rosetta Stone" article. Tabs, notes, ear-all pieces of the puzzle, I think we all learn differently and need different types of input. Luck to ya!

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

I had a teacher tell me once that learning to read music was the easy part....it was actually learning to play it that becomes difficult. I am not an avide music reader myself. I can usually figure it out with a little patience and study. But reading tab is so much easier. Of course there are times I will take a tab and try to figure out what the notes are on the fret board and what they are etc. What you need to do is get you a subscribtion to a good guitar magizine that shows the notes as they are written along with the tab as well. Like Acoustic Guitar does this on most of their stuff. Which is cool.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Hiram I am with you. I too believe Tabs have no soul. there is no other way to describe it.

I am relearning how to read notation, as I wanted to learn a bunch of old cowboy songs. I understood all the chords, but didnt know the melodies.
once I learned where the notes and strings are from paper to fret board it became easier.

I found a site that explains sheet music in plain and simple terms. I cant find it, but if you search Google to will find something.

I like the idea of sort of knowing notation; it doesnt hurt to mess with Tab either. (generally, I just use my ear.)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Nothing against Tab, it's a quick way of rapidly expanding the repertoire, but can your teacher at college read music? If he can, why isn't he teaching you? If he can't, can one of the other students?

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

.............but can your teacher at college read music? If he can't, ...............
Best,
A :-)
........get a teacher that can.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@hiram)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well it's a short 8 week course and you can't really expect too much individual attention unless you go to the music shop where he works at 18.00 hour. He's a music major in guitar and most of the students (18-23) can read music. I realize the constraints as far as individual attention, but what the heck I know all my basic chords and learn a couple of new ones each week and can play 3 songs. I guess it gave me a foundation and I'm on my way so to speak, we'lll work on reading music over the winter.
On a lighter note I go to a small country church and the pianist asked me would I be ready to play background on guitar in a few months. I said " sure you find a hymnal with guitar chords and I'll be able to. We both had a good laugh over that., yall take care and be safe.

ReplyQuote
(@ak_guitar)
Trusted Member

I said " sure you find a hymnal with guitar chords and I'll be able to.

Here you go:

http://www.guitarhymns.com/

Not a complete hymnal, but a substantial collection.

Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy. For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. Psalm 33:2-4

ReplyQuote