Clear all

Blues Chords help

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So this is really cool, i bailed on my satellite TV provider and went digital cable. The cable provider offers free guitar lessons, and they are great for beginners. I was working on a "basic blues chords" lesson and have a question. I think he was using a basic 12-bar blues pattern, and I think he said he was using chords A7, D7, and E7. Pulling fingers slightly off the strings to sound a shorter note on the second of two beats, which sounds really cool, albeit REALLY simple. Anyway, my question is this: Near as I can tell, the chord shapes he was using are below (didnt provide a diagram, just looking at his fingers), and it looks like the A string is open, but muted on the A7 chord. Is that how I play the A7? He said it was only a three note chord, but the only way I can figure to play three notes out of these four adjacent strings is to mute the A string. I tried to mute the A string with my index finger, which I used to finger the A-note on the low E string. Is this correct? It sounded pretty good. But now, looking back at this, isn't the open A string the same note that I'm playing on the 5th fret of the low E string? Whats the problem with including this note in the chord? Help?! I'm trying to learn some of this theory stuff along the way. Hope I made sense and didnt butcher my own question.

Chords used (I think he was calling them A7 & D7...

(A7) (D7)

E X X
B X X
G 6 5
D 5 4
A X 5
E 5 X

Now whenever i see tab that shows chords with multiple strings that are seperated by an X, does that mean to mute that string?

Thanks - B

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yes the X normally indicates a string that should not be played.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

That finger that's playing the low E string at the 5th fret - just let it sag a little until it touches the A string.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

There are many ways to play an A7 - the one in open position looks a little like this (0 means open):
E:0
B:2
G:0
D:2
A:0

and a D7 in open looks like this:

E:1
G:1
D:0

And you're right about the A note - the A is the root of the chord you're playing, so it doesn't matter whether you hit the fifth fret on the E string or the open A string, just as long as you hit the A. (In which case, you mute the E, and you'd probably do it with your thumb - but you shouldn't worry about that yet, it took me a year after beginning guitar to get that down)

I'm gonna have to remember that chord shape, I've never seen that one before and I loves me some blues chords :P

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

and a D7 in open looks like this:

E:1
G:1

Almost:

D7

E:2
B:1
G:2
E:x

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote