Blues Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@electrickoolaid)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Got a couple of questions for ya as im really stuck at the moment. Have been playing the guitar for about 4 or 5 months now and am pleased that i have a few songs under my belt. Some courtesy of David's fantastic lessons, Riders on the Storm, Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, Kansas City. Have learnt a couple myself by the Doors (big fan)...Hyacinth House, Cars Hiss Pass My Window. Also a couple of basic 12 bar fingerstyle blues

The Problem is that i really want to play the blues. I found a teacher recently and had my first lesson. He gave me a basic 12 bar shuffle and a couple of licks to play over. This was great for a few days but i soon got stuck with where to go..ie not being able to come up with licks to fit in with the shuffle myself. My teacher seemed to be playing the A chord (one finger bar) and was playing successions of notes that tied in and sounded really bluesy.

I cant for the life of me play this one finger bar and stretch my fingers to hit various notes on 2nd, 3rd or 4th frets. I can hit a couple of notes, mostly on the bass strings which sound pretty good but thats about it.
I feel better when i am learning actual songs as David does in his lessons, should i be asking for more material as i already have a basic concept of what 12 bar blues is?

Also (apologies for the length of this post) can anyone advise what i should be learning in order to play some good blues.....ie. learn basic 12 bar first, then A minor scales (i know a couple of positions already) in all positions, then.....etc.......
I know you have to start somewhere and think i have to a certain degree, but where do you go from there ? or am i being impatient?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

ElectricKoolAid

(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member

the blues is my favorite thing to play so good job :D
I find it easier if you get a blues book..thats what has helped me..mine has alot of blues scales and stuff..the scales help u to feel better with the blues..and it gives u chords..
thats just how I like it..someone else might be able to help you more the way u want it..

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Learn the blues scale, and minor scales. I like the to play blues with Major 7th chords, and a lead based off the relative minor scale.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

You understand the concept pretty well. Youre teacher will probably introduce you to the blues scale soon. Its very important that you learn the notes of those positions as well. Make sure you know exactly where the 3rd, 5th and 7th notes are in each pattern for starters. Eventually you should learn them all. You'll have a great command of the fretboard eventually.

After that, you just play. Becoming blues savy is pretty darn simple. But, its very difficult to play the blues with the passion and power that it is known for. Your teacher wont be able to teach you this. So, listen to some blues records and get some motivation/inspiration.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

to me it sounds like you need a new teacher. your teacher is taching you things that you're not equipped to play yet.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

to me it sounds like you need a new teacher. your teacher is taching you things that you're not equipped to play yet.

How is he not equipped to play a simple 12 bar progression and some licks to go over it? He has a guitar, check. He has all ten fingers, check. And, he has a will to learn (I think). How isnt he equipped?

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I cant for the life of me play this one finger bar and stretch my fingers to hit various notes on 2nd, 3rd or 4th frets. I can hit a couple of notes, mostly on the bass strings which sound pretty good but thats about it.

i think that's pretty hard to do for someone who hasn't been playing too long. if his teacher wants him to do this the said teacher should prepare him to do this not throw him into it, imho.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

He can only learn by doing. How do you prepare to do barre chords? You just have to practice 'em. Barre chords really arent all that tough (unless this guy is playing on a neck that isnt sized correctly for his hands).

ElectricKoolAid, just take your time with those and practice them often. And, stop saying "I cant". You can do anything on the guitar that you want.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

the way i see it is that it's a progression. you learn the barre chords first, then you can play other notes with your other fingers after you know them kind of well. people who have been playing four or five months have trouble a lot of the time just playing an F chord. everything comes in time.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Go to your guitar store and pick up a blues instruction book

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

I've got the book Blues You Can Use, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0793542057

which some people recommended to me. It's pretty good. I found getting the fingering fast enough to follow with the cd pretty tough (I've been playing a year). You'll need an electric guitar for the book (unless you can do a whole-step bend on the B string on your acoustic!)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

In addition to the above suggestions, if you want to play blues, you've got to listen to lots of good blues.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I'll start the list -
John Lee Hooker
Albert King
BB King
EXPECIALLY Freddie King
Muddy Waters
Eric Clapton
Robert Cray
T-Bone Walker
Stevie Ray Vaughn

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@electrickoolaid)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all for the advice and thank you Voodoo Merman, will certainly take that on board. This is the first time that i've used these kind of forums and what a godsend they are, nice to know there are some helpful people out there in this world.....
Thanks!!!!!

ElectricKoolAid

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I recommend a book called Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0825625564/sr=8-1/qid=1150295670/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6230457-4750566?%5Fencoding=UTF8

It progresses nicely and I'm still learning from it after having it well over a year. (sorry for the ugly link)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2