Clear all

Blues Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member

I thought I would chime in something about the blues that my teacher told me:

Blues is a music genre entirely based on 12 bar. How many ways can you play the same 12 bars. From Robert Johnson to Stevie, its all 12 bar based.

So it cannot be emphasized enough that learning a million ways to play the same 12 bar progression is key if you wanna be a blues master.

(I know there are 8bar and 10bar progressions, etc.)

Also add Robert Cray to the list of good blues. His stuff is basic but modern. Very cool.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I recommend a book called Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar:

Beginning Fingerstyle Blues

It progresses nicely and I'm still learning from it after having it well over a year. (sorry for the ugly link)

Thanks for the link and recommendation. I've been looking for something like that myself.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I recommend a book called Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar:

Beginning Fingerstyle Blues

It progresses nicely and I'm still learning from it after having it well over a year. (sorry for the ugly link)

Thanks for the link and recommendation. I've been looking for something like that myself.

Geoo

There are a few out there but I asked around and that was the one that kept getting recommended. It's helped my blues playing as well as just playing in general.

ReplyQuote
(@uno-pulgar)
Trusted Member

more for the list
Buddy Guy
Robert Johnson
Lightning Hopkins (especially for fingerpickers)
R. L. Burnside
Junior Kimbrough
Albert Collins
Mississippi Fred McDowell
Jimmy Thackery

And also, might I suggest going to shows/Festivals. You can find them everywhere and many are very resonable priced $30-$50 for three day's of blues. Some artisit you might have heard of, others you'd never know unless you go see them.

Avatar- Correy Harris 8/12/2006 Heritage Music Blues fest, Wheeling WVa

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I have the book Beginning Fingerstyle blues Guitar. It's a good book with a lot in it. you're sure to get something out of it.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2