81 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
19.8 K Views
 GY01
(@gy01)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have been taking lessons for three months and have worked through Hal Leonards Beginner 1 and 2 Guitar Books. My teacher doesn't really want me to go to Hal Leonard's #3 book (more of the same). I was thinking of using John Ganapes Blues You Can Use. However, I don't want to get in completely over my head and become frustrated. Do I have enough experience after finishing the Hal Leonard Guitar 1 &2 books to attempt Blues You Can Use?

Thanks in advance!!

(@margaret)
Noble Member

I'm using the Blues You Can Use book and CD, and really like it. I'm no great shakes and probably no more advanced than you.

I will say the book is challenging for me. It's definitely NOT one lesson per week for me. So far, I've got the song in the first lesson almost up to speed, I can play the song in the second lesson but am still slowing it down with Windows Media Player, and I'm just starting to pick out the third song. And this is over the course of several weeks.

I try not to look too far ahead in the book because it is intimidating. But my goal is to really learn the techniques and the songs, rather than to speed through the book, so I'm okay with that.

The book incorporates techniques such as bending and it teaches the box positions for the pentatonic scale, and deals with the I, IV, V barre chord fingerings. I find the book to be user-friendly in a way that most are not. I have a lot of guitar books, but this is my favorite right now.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 GY01
(@gy01)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

margaret

Thanks for replying. Is the book all tablature or are there actual notes in there? I am attempting to learn the guitar using no tablature(?sp).

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Blues You Can Use has both standard notation AND tab. That's the only kind of book I'll buy anymore, in fact.

You may want to learn tab along with standard notation, and here's the reason why: Most any note can be played in several different places on the fretboard. While standard notation will tell you the name of the note, it doesn't tell you which place to play it, which leaves you to figure it all out on your own. Using standard notation along with tab gives you more complete information and will help give you the most efficient, or best-sounding configuration.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I understand wanting to learn more but, is your teacher not challenging you enough? Maybe there is a reason he/she doesn't want you to go any further.

The more time you take to understand the fundamentals, the better off you'll be. Get what you have on your plate now down pat first. I made that mistake when I first started playing (always trying to learn more) and it turned around and kicked me in the butt. I had to go back and re-learn things.

So, unless your Doctor told you, you are going to die in a week........ take your time. If you insist on wanting to "do more", learn some riffs or leads that cover the techniques you have learned.

In will all come in due time.

Just a thought........

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

BYCU is good stuff! Many people here at GN have used it and recommend it.

Each lesson gets progressively more difficult, and you'll be doing lots of full and half bends around lesson 7. Having a teacher who can help you with technique would be a big plus.

I've been stuck on lesson 9 for months, but I really don't put in as much time as I'd like. :(

John has his own forum now for BYCU users: http://www.bluesyoucanuse.com/forum.html

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Couple more things...

Nothing says you have to use only one book at a time. Maybe work some in another fundamentals book, if not the Hal Leonard #3, then another series, and supplement it with Blues You Can Use or another song book. I know those fundamentals books with short snippets of this and that can get pretty tedious.

Also, expanding on why you should consider learning tab along with standard notation---as my guitar teacher demonstrated to me, it really does make a difference *where* on the fretboard you play that particular note. Played in a couple different places, they may be the same note, but the tone and character differ. So if you're trying to copy the tone you hear on a recording, it is important to know *where* on the fretboard it should be played.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Thx for posting that link, Slej. If it's been mentioned before I've missed it.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Yeah, BYCU is a great book.

He covers all of the Pent scale patterns. I've learned a lot and still am learning from his book. Besides John's a nice guy to boot.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

http://www.bluesyoucanuse.com/

Here's a link to the BYCU Home page. You can get there from the forum page that Slej posted as well, but just in case you didn't notice that option.....

Looks like John Ganapes has a new book due out soon, Blues You Can Use Primer, perhaps a little easier than the BYCU I have.

I've been checking out the on-site lesson titled First Boogie in A. There are mp3s to accompany, in both slow and regular versions.

I see he also has supplemental info for the lessons in BYCU posted there.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I have used Blues You Can Use too and I think its great. I havent gotten far but that has more to do with my time schedule. The book is great and its nice to have access to the author through the website. Something we get used to here at GN too. :)

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Although the book is decent, I don't think it's for someone with 3 months of experience (generally speaking).
The book delves into maj7 barre chords with root on E and A by the second lesson!

I agree with what Mike has said, take your time with the basics.

If you really wish to learn the blues, start out with 12 barre blues using open chords and the minor pent scale.
You will have enough material to play with for months ...

Just my 2 cents.

Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@cloonsey)

Great book,
I've only just picked it up and it looks like it's going to be fun learning the differant styles.

I' glad to see he's going to release the backing tracks without guitar.
I allways wonderd why there wasn't any on the cd.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Although the book is decent, I don't think it's for someone with 3 months of experience (generally speaking).

Probably true, but the poster said he'd been taking lessons for three months, not necessarily playing for only three months. Also he's already worked through two Hal Leonard method books, and I'd think that someone who has mastered those is ready for something more complex. Plus he's got a teacher who thinks he's ready to move on.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 GY01
(@gy01)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I should have clarified my initial post a little better. My guitar teacher does think I am ready to move on to another book, he just does not want to use Hal Leonard's Book 3. He thinks that is just more of the same kind of stuff that are in books 1 & 2. I think hes bored with that. I am not. I have to actually pick up a copy of Blues You Can Use and look through it.

People on the BYCU forum were introducing themselves and most of them had been playing for years. That scares me a little. There was one guy out there who was pretty much a beginner and he thought he was doing ok with it.

I bought my first guitar 25 years ago. I played by ear for about a year and a half and then gave up on it because I was not making any progress. I am a much better player now with three months of lessons than I ever was back then. Sad but true.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6