Clear all

blues questions

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I think I have the basic blues shuffle down from David Hodge's articles. But can anyone post any other variations on the basic 12-bar patterns? I had this idea that is almost the same as what David wrote. I'll only show the example on two strings (A and D), then it's moved up one string (D and G) and down one string (E and A):
A----2--4--5--4-----
D----0--0--0--0-----
I don't think it matches the theory, but I think it sounds pretty cool. I think it sounds almost sounds like the rhythm in Led Zep's “You Shook Me. . .” On that note, can anyone post some tab from some actual songs that I could try?
Also, how could I end the 12-bars blues in a “classier” way, and what are some simple turnarounds I can use? And is it okay if I don't use alternate-picking? I prefer just using downstrokes on the two strings.
Another question which might sound stupid. . . is there any good lessons on making lyrics that match the 12-bar blues? Now that I have a good idea of playing the shuffle, I want to try just singing to it, but how would I go about doing that? Help would be appreciated. 8)

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

(@careyr)

Hi Brian.
I would suggest you have a look at Olav Torvund's excellent Blues Guitar site at http://www.torvund.net/guitar/BluesGuitar/index.asp

I think he covers all your questions and more! There are midi files for different shuffle progressions in all keys that you can download and jam along with. I have used them to practise Kansas City and it has helped immensely.

By the way, I play the midi's using the Sweet Midi Player which allows me to loop sections and adjust play-back speed so I can start slow and build up to tempo. It works really well. It's available here:

http://www.ronimusic.com/swmipl.htm

Hope this helps.

Bob

That almost sounded musical. Thanks Guitar Noise!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Brian,
Yes that is an appropriate blues shuffle you have written there. Have a look at Arjen's article on improvisation (should be on the homepage still) scroll down to the bottom, there are 3 midi files that play that same blues shuffle you put on here.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The list of songs using variations of the progression is endless. You might try moving it around to different keys. then get creative and play it back- wards like BTO "Taken care of business" C,Bb, F, C. Once you become accustom to the sound of the shuffle sound you'll hear songs were its used in part or as the whole pattern. Some songs you'll play it slow and some that play it fast, along with every variation in between.

Blues shuffle Key of E

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What would be good key progressions? And would they follow the "triplet feel" or the "rock feel?" I prefer the triplet feel.

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

BrianK

As Joe said, there are literally thousands of songs that use the shuffle.

Probably the one single person who made this shuffle so popular is Chuck Berry. If you really love this sound you owe it to yourself to collect some of his music. Plus, Chuck Berry was also a very talented lyricist. So you can get some pretty amazing ideas from him.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Where can I find David Hodges lesson on the "Bsic Blues Shuffle".

Thanks
David

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

David

I am not sure of which article you are looking for, but if you go to the Home page and type shuffle in search, many articles came up. I saw Roll Over Beethoven, that would be a good start.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote